Subject: [netlmm] PMIP and ppp protocol

From: Jean-Mickael Guerin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:09:36 +0200

Hello,

In case ppp protocol is used between and MAG,

o When the MAG uses a AAA mechanism like a radius server to authorize 
the user's ppp session, it might receive the RADIUS 
Delegated-IPv6-Prefix Attribute (RFC 4818) . Does the spec allow the use 
of this prefix as Home prefix without fetching the LMA ?

o As mentioned in the draft the ppp session is torn down then 
re-established. So I would suspect that some application on the mobile 
station could break. Do people have some feedback of their 
implementation for this case ?

Thanks,

Jean-Mickael

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: "Sri Gundavelli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 00:25:35 -0700

Hi Jean-Mickael,
 
Please see inline ...

Regards
Sri

-----Original Message-----
From: Jean-Mickael Guerin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2007 12:10 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [netlmm] PMIP and ppp protocol

Hello,

[Sri] How the MAG or the LMA obtains the policy profile of a mobile
is outside the scope of the base document. This may be covered in
AAA interface document. If this information is in AAA and it is
possible the MAG can use this as the home prefix.

[Sri] The link that is assumed on the MN-AR link is point to point
link, PPP is just an example. We need to get some data on this for
different SDO architectures, how the host handles the handoff
scenario for this specific case.

Thanks,

Jean-Mickael

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 11:21:31 +0200

> implementation for this case ?

YEs, I have feedback for UMTS.

In my implementation of Mobile IPv6 the ppp interface can be torn down 
and re-established without breaking IPv6 applications.  Because the 
application runs over a virtual IPv6 interface (a tun/tap device 
encap/decap IPv6 in UDP), virtual interface which points to the ppp0 
interface with a routing table entry.  When ppp goes down/up the route 
is deleted/added, but the IPv6 virtual interface stays up, so the app is 
not interrupted.

However, that's Mobile IPv6 (not DS-MIPv6 and not netlmm).

If applications on the Mobile Station run directly over the ppp 
interface (which is IPv4 and IPv6 enabled) then they'll surely break 
upon ppp connection re-establishment, because socket structures simply 
disappear when interface goes down.

I am not sure pmipv6 protocol considers that ppp connection is 
re-established per handover.

Alex

______________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email 
______________________________________________________________________

---

From: Jean-Mickael Guerin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:20:59 +0200

> re-established per handover.

My understanding of section 6.5 is that the re-establishment ensures the 
mobile gets a new unique link-local address.

Jean-Mickael