Subject: [netlmm] New proposal for closing the so called issue related to Multi-homing

From: "Sri Gundavelli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 13:53:47 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Please see the new proposal for solving the multi-homing issue.
For the last few days, we brought this multi-homing issue and
managed to argue stating we are violating link model, impacting
host connectivity ...etc ..etc....etc and so we should allocate
a unique prefix for each link. Even though, every one knows 
there needs to be additional software on the host for using
all the links and the issues with a multi-homing host and that
has nothing to do with NETLMM.

If *really* multi-homing was the concern, this should fix it
100%. I challenge the folks to beat this solution on the
grounds of merit and not with the intent of blocking interaccess
handoffs.  Please review and comment.

LMA Logic:
==========

- The LMA, on receiving a PBU from a MAG for a NAI, must check
  if there is a BCE for that mobile node (NAI).
- If there exists a BCE and if the access technology field in
  the BCE matches what is the PBU, it accepts the PBU and updates
  the binding.
- If the access technology field in the BCE does not match what
  is in the PBU, the LMA MUST wait till the MAG listed in the
  BCE sends the DeReg, before it accepts the PBU. In other words,
  the LMA will prevent the prefix oscillation by ensuring its
  not accepting binding over a different interface. 

Implies:
========
a.) The IPv6 prefix is still on a single link, at any point
    of time.
b.) The host will never see the same prefix on more than one
    interface.
c.) Host will never configure an address from the same prefix
    on more than one interface (This was never the case, anyways)
d.) Host will not network disruption at any point of time
e.) Host can do inter-access handoffs in all possible ways.
    Network can support modified and unmodified hosts for inter
    access handoffs.

Scenarios:
==========
Case-1: Host with Single Interface
a.) Handoff from pMAG to nMAG

Case-2: Host with multiple interfaces, single access
a.) Handoff from pMAG/Interface-1 to nMAG/Interface-2
b.) Handoff from pMAG/Interface-1 to nMAG/Interface-1

Case-3: Host with multiple interfaces, Multiple access
a.) Attachment to the network over a second interface

Sri

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Ashutosh Dutta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:17:33 -0400

Sri, I think these scenarios are valid scenarios, and we should make 
sure that any PMIP-based solution does include these handoff scenarios 
into consideration.

Thanks
Ashutosh