Subject: [netlmm] New individual draft submission on PMIPv4 with the new mobility extensions in radius server

From: "Vamsi Krishna Gondi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:55:29 +0100

Dear All,

I have submitted an individual draft on new mobility management solution
using PMIPv4 and radius mobility extensions.

You can check it here.

http://tools.ietf.org/wg/netlmm/draft-gondi-netlmm-pmip-aaam-00.txt

The draft proposes the new mechanism for mobility management using PMIPv4
and Radius server with mobility extensions. In the proposed architecture we
have addressed issues of mobile terminal identity, mobility context transfer
from one access network to another access network, MPA and HA registrations,
packet formats for radius and PMIP. We are also proposed the mechanism for
the multihoming scenarios in the draft. We have developed a small working
prototype to demonstrate the PMIP capabilities with our solution.

The working model of this architecture is defined below (Summary)

When there is any request for authentication from the NAS or AP of  the
mobile terminal to the radius server, the radius server checks the realm of
the user differentiates as it belongs to the home or the visiting network.
If the mobile terminal is from a home network It does the local
authentication and in parallel with the new Mobility extension it sends the
mobility registration request to the HA, HA listens to the request and
creates the session for that terminal (In this case the user ID for
authentication and SPI are mapped in a database, so the HA check the SPI
with the user ID send by the radius server).

If the mobile terminal belongs to the visiting network, radius server sends
a mobility request in parallel with the authentication request for details
to home radius server of the mobile terminal using NAI. After receiving the
request the home Radius server takes the details and sends request to the HA
for mobile terminal details , the HA responds with the details to the radius
server. Then the home radius server forwards the details of mobile terminal
to the visiting networks radius server. After receiving the response the
radius server sends mobility registration request to the MPA. MPA with the
details from the radius server tries to register with the HA of the mobile
terminal and updates the DHCP server or radius server. After receiving the
successful replies from the authentication and mobility modules the radius
server grants the access to the visiting mobile terminal to the network.

I am very keen to discuss our solution with the working group to enhance
proposed solution.

If there any issues regarding the methodology or issues still to be
addressed, through discussions we can agree on common point where the
proposed solution can be addressed as one of the mobility solutions.

Looking forward from you,

Thanking you,

Gondi Vamsi Krishna.

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm