Subject: [netlmm] [Fwd: DISCUSS: draft-ietf-netlmm-proxymip6]

From: "Soininen Jonne (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:44:11 +0200

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	DISCUSS: draft-ietf-netlmm-proxymip6
Date: 	Mon, 3 Mar 2008 09:52:23 -0800 (PST)
From: 	ext Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked], 
[email-masked]

Discuss:
This discuss is based on TSV-dir review by Allison Mankin.

1. MTU issues with PMIP. As raised by Allison Mankin in her review there exist a MTU issue here. Both from the general problem of tunnels, but secondly also from the potential for changed access technology in the access link and the path between the MAG and LMA. Both needs to be discussed in the document. 

2. ECN. I expect that one at least raise the issue of ECN with tunnel and point at RFC 3168. 

We seem to be lacking that generic document that contains all known issues and recommended practices with IP tunnels.

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 15:02:48 -0800 (PST)

We propose to resolve the two issues raised by the Transport AD in the
following manner.

1. MTU Changes

The Router Advertisement sent my the MAG on the access link MUST contain
the MTU option reflecting the PMU between the LMA and the MAG. This MTU
can be configured manually or per the standard Path MTU discovery
mechanisms the MAG can discover the PMTU and use the value in the MTU
option.

2. Handing ECN Notification

This spec leverages standard tunneling mechanisms. Specifically, the
it uses IPv6-in-IPv6 mode, per RFC-2473. Ideally, the ECN mechanisms
and the issues should be discussed in that specific document. May be
because ECN mechanism was defined much later than the IPv6-in-IPv6
encap mode. This document can add some text requiring the tunnel end
points to copy the ECN code point from the outer header to the inner
header of the packet.

Please comment.

Regards
Sri