Subject: [netlmm] Proposed New Charter Item: P-MIPv6 Route Optimization // Re: The way forward as discussed during the WG meeting

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:59:33 +0300

Folks,

another proposed work item below for the new NETLMM charter.

- Christian

Proxy Mobile IPv6 Route Optimization
------------------------------------

The P-MIPv6 base specification requires all traffic to be routed via a  
central mobility anchor.  This causes a performance bottleneck, and  
may lead to increases in packet propagation latency and packet loss  
due to longer-than-optimal routes.  Support for route optimization in  
P-MIPv6 would mitigate these issues.  Route optimization can happen at  
different levels in network topology, from between hosts with a common  
attachment point, to between hosts in administratively discontinuous P- 
MIPv6 domains.

Notwithstanding its performance benefits, route optimization comes  
with a cost in terms of network complexity and additional  
administration needs.  There is lack of analysis in which scenarios  
route optimization would be worthwhile.

We propose a work item on route optimization within the NETLMM working  
group with the goals of (1) analyzing the feasibility, benefits, and  
costs of route optimization at different levels in network topology,  
and (2) designing and evaluating suitable technical solutions for  
route optimization at worthwhile network-topological levels.

Early work on goal (2) includes:

   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jeong-netlmm-pmipv6-roreq

Interested people (at least):  - Behcet Sarikaya
                                - Sangjin Jeong
                                - Marco Liebsch
                                - Long Le
                                - Ryuji Wakikawa
                                - Jaehwoon Lee
                                - Shinta Sugimoto
                                - Kilian Weniger
                                - Genadi Velev
                                - Christian Vogt

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Ashutosh Dutta <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 09:04:50 -0400

Christian,
           You may want to add few more names at least to the work on 
route optimization. We have submitted a draft on Inter-MAG route 
optimization but did not get chance to discuss this during last IETF.

Ashutosh Dutta
Hidetoshi Yokota
Subir Das
Tsunehiko Chiba

Regards
Ashutosh

---

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:10:42 +0300

> You may want to add few more names at least to the work on route  
> optimization. We have submitted a draft on Inter-MAG route  

Excellent, thanks!

- Christian