Subject: [netlmm] Some questions on draft-muhanna-netlmm-grekey-option-04

From: "Mohana Jeyatharan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:59:54 +0800

Hi Ahmad,

I have a few question in the latest version of your draft.

(1)In section 3.2 you have a mechanism for GRE key support verification
mechanism and then in section
3.3 have the mechanims where the GRE keys are sent in PBU. Why such
differentiation and what is the benefit. I think in v03 you did not have
such separation?

(2)In section 3.3.2 it is mentioned that dereg must have GRE key option.
But, in the body of the text in section 3.3.2 it says

"In the case that the deregistration PBU does not
   include the GRE encapsulation option and the corresponding mobile
   node session has been assigned downlink and uplink GRE keys, the LMA
   will follow the same process in cleaning the associated resources
   including the GRE keys."

Sorry I am not very clear with this.

(3)Can you exchnage multipe GRE keys. It seems the drfat is resticting
to down link key in PBU and down link and up-link key in PBA. I think it
should be better to have more keys to perform flow specific processing.
Or do you think such a need is not necessary?

(4)If GRE key is exchnaged, I remember it mentioned that it must be used
in sending data packet encapsulation. Why should it be so. May be for
some flows such GRE sematics may not be necessary. Or are you targetting
you IPv4 private address based scenario.

Sorry, I just read the and I had such queries. 

BR,
Mohana

_______________________________________________
netlmm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netlmm

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:51:25 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Vijay Devarapalli <[email-masked]>
To: Ahmad Muhanna <[email-masked]>; Charles E. Perkins <[email-masked]>; Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2008 4:24:23 PM
Subject: Re: [netlmm] Some questions on draft-muhanna-netlmm-grekey-option-04

Hi Ahmad,

Each PDN connection (or a mobility session as it is called in RFC 5213)
gets a different IP address. Therefore, the IP address can be used by
the MAG to indicate which particular mobility session is being refreshed
or deleted. 

[behcet] Thanks Vijay for clarifying this "mobility session" terminology. RFC 5213 calls  each binding a mobility session. Then I saw a draft that has session management in its title.
  
  It is very confusing to call a L3 binding or connection a session. Both RFCs 3775 and 3344 refrain from using this terminology. I agree with MIP6/MIP4 terminology.  

Should we start RFC 5213bis to correct this? 

Regards,

Behcet