Subject: [netlmm] A New Draft on Minimal Multicast Deployment in PMIPv6 Domains

From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 00:10:30 +0200

Dear all,

   multicast support for PMIPv6 domains has been desired and debated by
   a number of folks, and at the same time some divergent understanding
   of the topic arose, the extremes being:

   * PMIPv6 cannot work with multicast
   * PMIPv6 inherently supports multicast by itself

   We believe, both is not true.

   To clarify the issue, we have prepared a document defining
   multicast listener support in PMIPv6 domains solely on the basis of
   standardized IETF protocols (see below):
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schmidt-multimob-pmipv6-mcast-deployment-00.txt 

   It assigns the role of MLD proxies to MAGs and standard MLD queriers
   to LMAs, and we believe this is the minimal solution solely based on
   standard protocol behavior. At the price of multicast functions at MAG
   and LMA, this approach provides some (but not all possible) traffic
   aggregations.

   As may be known, there are attempts to initiate a working group 
"Multimob"
   to work on multicast extensions for mobility protocols. Thereof, 
PMIPv6 plays a
   major role.

   In writing this announcement, I would very much like to stimulate the 
involvement
   and exchange of PMIP mobility people with the multicast and mip guys 
already
   present at the subject.

Looking forward to your comments!

Thomas

---------------------------- snip ----------------------------------

A new version of I-D,
draft-schmidt-multimob-pmipv6-mcast-deployment-00.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Thomas Schmidt and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-schmidt-multimob-pmipv6-mcast-deployment
Revision:	 00
Title:		 A Minimal Deployment Option for Multicast Listeners in PMIPv6
Domains
Creation_date:	 2009-06-13
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 10

Abstract:
This document describes deployment options for activating multicast
listener functions in Proxy Mobile IPv6 domains without modifying
mobility and multicast protocol standards.  Similar to Home Agents in
Mobile IPv6, PMIPv6 Local Mobility Anchors serve as multicast
subscription anchor points, while Mobile Access Gateways provide MLD
proxy functions.  In this scenario, Mobile Nodes remain agnostic of
multicast mobility operations.

-- 

Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner Tor 7 °
° Dept. Informatik, Internet Technologies Group    20099 Hamburg, Germany °
° http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet                   Fon: +49-40-42875-8452 °
° http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt    Fax: +49-40-42875-8409 °