Subject: [netlmm] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5847 (2302)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:52:42 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5847,
"Heartbeat Mechanism for Proxy Mobile IPv6".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5847&eid=2302

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Alfred Hoenes <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.1, pg. 5

Original Text
-------------
   A PMIPv6 node (MAG or LMA) matches every received Heartbeat Response
   to the Heartbeat Request sent using the sequence number.  Before
   sending the next Heartbeat Request, it increments a local variable
<< page break >>
|  MISSING_HEARTBEAT if it has not received a Heartbeat Response for the
|  previous request.  When this local variable MISSING_HEARTBEAT exceeds
   a configurable parameter MISSING_HEARTBEATS_ALLOWED, the PMIPv6 node
   concludes that the peer PMIPv6 node is not reachable.  If a Heartbeat
!  Response message is received, the MISSING_HEARTBEATS counter is
   reset.

Corrected Text
--------------
   A PMIPv6 node (MAG or LMA) matches every received Heartbeat Response
   to the Heartbeat Request sent using the sequence number.  Before
   sending the next Heartbeat Request, it increments a local variable
|  MISSING_HEARTBEATS if it has not received a Heartbeat Response for 
|  the previous request.  When this local variable MISSING_HEARTBEATS 
   exceeds a configurable parameter MISSING_HEARTBEATS_ALLOWED, the
   PMIPv6 node concludes that the peer PMIPv6 node is not reachable.
   If a Heartbeat Response message is received, the MISSING_HEARTBEATS
   counter is reset.

Notes
-----
Rationale:
  The RFC text varies between singular and plural form of the name
  of the local variable.  A single name is necessary for consistency.
  Paraphrasing from MIB doctor guidelines, counter variables should 
  always be in plural form.  Additionally, the related configurable
  parameter is called "MISSING_HEARTBEATS_ALLOWED " in the RFC.
  Therefore, "MISSING_HEARTBEATS" is chosen above as the appropriate
  form and the instances of "MISSING_HEARTBEAT" are changed to the
  plural form.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5847 (draft-ietf-netlmm-pmipv6-heartbeat-07)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Heartbeat Mechanism for Proxy Mobile IPv6
Publication Date    : June 2010
Author(s)           : V. Devarapalli, Ed., R. Koodli, Ed., H. Lim, N. Kant, S. Krishnan, J. Laganier
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Network-based Localized Mobility Management
Area                : Internet
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG