Subject: [Netmod-ver-dt] Final? revision

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 12:03:34 -0400

Any other comments before I merge and publish?

https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-verdt-netmod-yang-versioning-reqs-00&url2=https://namale.marcuscom.com:8443/~jclarke/draft-verdt-netmod-yang-versioning-reqs.txt

Joe

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 12:11:52 -0400

Joe: 

I'm just finishing a few days of travel.  I will print and send comments in
a few minutes. 

Sue Hare s

-----Original Message-----
From: Netmod-ver-dt [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Joe
Clarke
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Netmod-ver-dt] Final? revision

https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-verdt-netmod-yang-versioning-reqs-
00&url2=https://namale.marcuscom.com:8443/~jclarke/draft-verdt-netmod-yang-v
ersioning-reqs.txt

Joe

_______________________________________________
Netmod-ver-dt mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod-ver-dt

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 12:26:18 -0400

Joe: 

This looks great! 

Sue 

-----Original Message-----

Joe

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 17:32:22 +0100

Looks good to me.

One concern is that some of the requirements refer to bug fixes, but we 
don't define what those are, and clearly within the DT we have different 
interpretations of whether a bug fix is always backwards compatible.

E.g.

       1.4  The solution MUST allow for modules to be versioned by	
  	    software release.  In particular, backwards compatible	
  	    enhancements and bug fixes MUST be allowed in any non-latest	
  	    release.

        4.4  If multiple revisions of a YANG module are published, then
             the solution SHOULD allow for bug fixes to be made to an
             older revision of the module.

Do we need to resolve this before telling the chairs that we think we 
are ready?  If so, I would suggest that we publish this now, but leave 
the defn of bugfix open, and perhaps ask the chairs for advice.

Thanks,
Rob

On 17/10/2018 17:03, Joe Clarke wrote:
> .

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 12:52:41 -0400

> the defn of bugfix open, and perhaps ask the chairs for advice.

Maybe we discuss and close on this tomorrow during our meeting.  We have
until the 22nd to publish, and perhaps some discussion can help close on
this.

Joe

---

From: "Sterne, Jason (Nokia - CA/Ottawa)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 20:29:19 +0000

Hi guys,

I won't be able to make the call tomorrow.

I'm not sure that we really should differentiate a bug fix from an enhancement (we have arguments about which is which regularly within Nokia and with customers).

I'd suggest something like this for 1.4 and 4.4:

1.4  The solution MUST allow for modules to be versioned by software release.  In particular, backwards compatible changes (e.g. enhancements, bug fixes) MUST be allowed in any non-latest release.

4.4  If multiple revisions of a YANG module are published, then the solution SHOULD allow for changes to be made to an older revision of the module.

We will still have to debate whether we allow NBC changes in those cases but I think the focus should be on NBC vs BC rather than bug vs enhancement.

Jason

> From: Netmod-ver-dt <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Joe
> Clarke
> Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 12:53 PM
> To: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Netmod-ver-dt] Final? revision
> 
> 00&url2=https://namale.marcuscom.com:8443/~jclarke/draft-verdt-netmod-
> yang-versioning-reqs.txt
> >>
> >> Joe
> >>

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 11:34:07 +0100

I think that we should differentiate.

In my experience there are different market expectations as to whether 
it is expected to be able to fix mistakes in existing functionality vs 
adding new functionality.

I don't deny that in some cases the boundary between whether something 
is a bug fix or an enhancement is a grey area.

Thanks,
Rob

---

From: "Reshad Rahman (rrahman)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 13:54:15 +0000

As much as such a definition may be useful, IMHO it could be a big rat-hole....

On 2018-10-18, 6:34 AM, "Netmod-ver-dt on behalf of Robert Wilton -X (rwilton - ENSOFT LIMITED at Cisco)" <[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

    
    
    Thanks,
    Rob