Subject: [Netmod-ver-dt] Semantic Versioning 2.0.0 | Semantic Versioning

From: Balázs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 15:19:12 +0000

https://semver.org/#spec-item-8 states:

"Major version X (X.y.z | X > 0) MUST be incremented if any backwards 
incompatible changes are introduced to the public API. It MAY include 
minor and patch level changes. Patch and minor version MUST be reset to 
0 when major version is incremented."

As I read it, this allows increment the major version for BC changes. I 
am missing the word "only" from the above sentence.

IMHO we should clearly state is it or is it not allowed.

regards balazs

-- 
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
Senior Specialist
Mobile: +36-70-330-7909              email: [email-masked]

---

From: Joe Clarke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 11:21:54 -0400

> IMHO we should clearly state is it or is it not allowed.

Even if the letter doesn't require it, I think the spirit of what we're
trying to achieve is that we don't bump MAJOR for backward compatible
changes.  This would lead to churn on the users to identify changes that
aren't there.

Joe

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 17:09:37 +0100

> changes.  This would lead to churn on the users to identify changes that
+1.

I think that the real goal of semver is to allow someone to know whether 
or not a new version is backwards compatible with an old version.

Almost the rules at the top of the semver page explain it better:

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:

 1. MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes,
 2. MINOR version when you add functionality in a backwards-compatible
    manner, and
 3. PATCH version when you make backwards-compatible bug fixes.

I get that the impression with semver is that the assumption is that it 
is the latest version of the API that is updated, and the version number 
only changes depending on what type of update is made.

Thanks,
Rob

>
> Joe
>
> _______________________________________________
> Netmod-ver-dt mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod-ver-dt