Subject: Re: [Netmod-ver-dt] YANG packages draft - now ready for review please

From: "Reshad Rahman (rrahman)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 02:57:29 +0000

Hi Rob,

Looks good, but TBH I haven’t gone over the minute details of the examples etc. Some comments.

Abstract

The sentence with “simplify the conformance and sharing of YANG schema” doesn’t jive well to me. I think I know what you mean (we probably discussed this previously), I don’t have better phrasing to propose. Only suggestion I have is to consider shortening the abstract.

Terminology

s/oraganization/organization/

Introduction

s/appendicies/appendices/?

Objectives

s/were a client/where a client/

YANG Package definition

s/oraganization/organization/
s/collectively define/collectively defines/?
3rd paragraph starting with “Each version of a YANG package defines…”. Do this in bullet form instead?

5.1 Package definition rules

s/decendent/descendent/
s/supercedes/supersedes/

5.2.1
Leaf is ‘nbc-changes’ (not ‘nbc-change’)

5.2.1.1.  Non-Backwards-compatible changes
Should this list also include/state “any NBC changes to a module in the package”?

5.3

s/libary/library/

5.5.1

Why SHOULD is used for uniqueness? Why not MUST?
s/publically/publicly/?

6
s/pacakge/package/

Regards,
Reshad.

From: Netmod-ver-dt <[email-masked]> on behalf of "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:58 AM
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Netmod-ver-dt] YANG packages draft - now ready for review please

Hi,

I think that this document has had sufficient updates that it is ready for review.

The latest version is available at per the commit information above, or attached.

I appreciate that it is quite short notice, but if it is possible for folks to review and provide comments before Thursday’s meeting that probably be helpful.

Thanks,
Rob

---

From: "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 11:17:11 +0000

Hi Reshad,

Thanks for the comments.

I’ve fixed all of the typos.

For the Abstract:

Old:
               This document defines YANG packages, a versioned
               organizational structure holding a set of related YANG
               modules, that can be used to simplify the conformance and
               sharing of YANG schema.  It describes how YANG instance data
               documents are used to define YANG packages, and how the YANG
               library information published by a server can be augmented
               with packaging related information.

Proposed:

               This document defines YANG packages, a versioned organizational
               structure holding a set of related YANG modules, that collectively
               define a YANG schema.  It describes how YANG instance data documents are
               used to define YANG packages, and how the YANG library information
               published by a server can be augmented with packaging related
               information.

For 5.2.1.1
Re: “Should this list also include/state “any NBC changes to a module in the package”?”

Ah, I see.  This is what the following current text of the second paragraph was meant to mean

Old:
                   <t>Changing a package import to select a package version that is
                   non-backwards-compatible to the prior package version, or removing a
                   previously imported package.</t>
                   <t>Changing a module import to select a module revision that is
                   non-backwards-compatible to the prior module revision, or removing a
                   previously implemented module.</t>
                   <t>Removing a previously supported feature.</t>
                   <t>Adding, changing, or removing a deviation that is considered a
                  non-backwards-compatible change to the affected data node in the
                   schema associated with the prior package version.</t>

Perhaps the following text would be more clear:

                   <t>Changing an 'imported-packages' list entry to select a package
                   version that is non-backwards-compatible to the prior package
                   version, or removing a previously imported package.</t>
                   <t>Changing a 'modules' or 'import-only-modules' list entry to
                   select a module revision that is non-backwards-compatible to the
                   prior module revision, or removing a previously implemented
                   module.</t>
                   <t>Removing a feature from the 'supported-feature' leaf-list.</t>
                   <t>Adding, changing, or removing a deviation that is considered a
                   non-backwards-compatible change to the affected data node in the
                   schema associated with the prior package version.</t>

Re 5.5.1 “MUST” instead of “SHOULD” for uniqueness.
Probably we should discuss today, but my default position is that I think that I will change this.

I think that my question was that how do you enforce global uniqueness ….

Thanks,
Rob

From: Reshad Rahman (rrahman) <[email-masked]>
Sent: 10 October 2019 03:57
To: Rob Wilton (rwilton) <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Netmod-ver-dt] YANG packages draft - now ready for review please

Hi Rob,

Abstract

Terminology

Introduction

Objectives

YANG Package definition

s/decendent/descendent/
s/supercedes/supersedes/

5.2.1

5.3

s/libary/library/

5.5.1

6
s/pacakge/package/

Regards,
Reshad.

From: Netmod-ver-dt <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> on behalf of "Rob Wilton (rwilton)" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Date: Monday, October 7, 2019 at 9:58 AM
To: "[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>
Subject: [Netmod-ver-dt] YANG packages draft - now ready for review please

Hi,

Thanks,
Rob