Subject: [Netslices] [CFP] IEEE Netsoft 2019 :: 2nd Workshop on Advances in Slicing for Softwarized Infrastructures (S4SI)

From: Christian Esteve Rothenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 12:04:56 -0200

(apologies for duplicates)

IEEE Netsoft 2019 :: 2nd Workshop on Advances in Slicing for
Softwarized Infrastructures (S4SI) :: 28 June 2019

https://intrig.dca.fee.unicamp.br/s4si2019/

The current industry trend of convergence between computing and
networking ecosystems highlights that computing, storage, and
connectivity services, as well as any other present and future
application instances, will be deployed in the form of virtualized
assets within a software-defined infrastructure running on top of
general-purpose processing and communication hardware.  All of these
will be managed and made available under the cloud “As A Service”
paradigm. One of the current trends in this space is the concept of a
Slice. This has drawn much attention from many people interested in
this important and developing area. Yet the topic of Slicing is very
much fragmented across conceptual views, approaches, technologies,
standardization, and so on.

In its second edition, the S4SI workshop aims at bringing
consolidation around slicing and discussing advances and challenges
related to Slicing in Softwarized Infrastructures for faster and
improved deployment of services in current and future 5G environments.
There are clearly many open questions to be addressed, including:

- Fragmented landscape and gaps, from concepts to standards towards
multi-domain, end-to-end slicing;
- How do the existing resource technologies of computing, storage and
network can seamlessly be managed, orchestrated and controlled as part
of end-to-end slices. Is it better to adapt existing components to
support slicing or to design new ones;
- How end-to-end slices can automatically be defined and allocated
on-demand - as a service - to host network services with similar
requirements in terms of SLA and QoS;
- At what level of abstraction slicing should be introduced, i.e.,
whether it is better implementing slicing mechanisms into existing
frameworks, orchestrators and infrastructure managers via adapting
their components, or it is more convenient implementing slicing in a
way that it will be transparent to them;
- What abstraction models, APIs and mechanisms would be required in
order to implement slicing and what the tradeoff between complexity
and performance would be.

S4SI aims at providing an international forum for researchers and
practitioners from academia, industry, network operators, and service
providers to discuss and address the challenges deriving from the
emerging scenarios around Slicing where systems, processes, and
workflows used in both computing and communications domains are
converging. Altogether, S4SI seeks to improve the common understanding
of Slicing, the expected benefits, including the new business model
opportunities between slice providers and tenants.
A concluding panel will contribute with a rich discussion on the
lessons learned and the path ahead towards the consolidation of
Slicing.

The workshop welcomes contributions from both computing and
network-oriented research communities, with the aim of facilitating
discussion, cross-fertilization and exchange of ideas and practices,
and successfully promote innovative solutions toward a real use of
slices. Contributions that discuss insights and best practices,
describe practical Slicing deployment and implementation experiences,
and demonstrate innovative Slicing use-cases are especially encouraged
for presentation and publication.

We are interested in papers that cover some of the following topics:

- What is a Slice? What is an end-to-end Slice?
- How are Slices formed and managed?
- How will Slicing affect 5G networks
- Cross-domain requirements and facilities for Slicing
- Issues in adapting existing systems to support Slicing
- What abstractions and models and APIs are needed for a Slice
- How can slices be allocated, deallocated, and be elastic by growing
or shrinking
- Network Slices with QoS/KPIs guarantees
- Monitoring and Analytics systems for Slicing

*** Important Dates ***

- Paper Submission: February 15, 2019
- Notification of Acceptance: March 22, 2019

- Camera ready: April 5, 2019
- Workshop date: June 28, 2019

*** Paper Submission ***

Authors are invited to submit original contributions (written in
English) in PDF format. Only original papers not published or
submitted for publication elsewhere can be submitted. Papers are up to
9 pages and should be in IEEE 2-column US-Letter style using IEEE
Conference template (see
http://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/publishing/templates.html)
and submitted in PDF format via  http://edas.info/help.php?c=25712