Subject: [New-wg-docs] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2021 04:04:33 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Benchmarking Methodology WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Multiple Loss Ratio Search for Packet Throughput (MLRsearch)
        Authors         : Maciek Konstantynowicz
                          Vratko Polak
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2021-02-09

Abstract:
   This document proposes changes to [RFC2544], specifically to packet
   throughput search methodology, by defining a new search algorithm
   referred to as Multiple Loss Ratio search (MLRsearch for short).
   Instead of relying on binary search with pre-set starting offered
   load, it proposes a novel approach discovering the starting point in
   the initial phase, and then searching for packet throughput based on
   defined packet loss ratio (PLR) input criteria and defined final
   trial duration time.  One of the key design principles behind
   MLRsearch is minimizing the total test duration and searching for
   multiple packet throughput rates (each with a corresponding PLR)
   concurrently, instead of doing it sequentially.

   The main motivation behind MLRsearch is the new set of challenges and
   requirements posed by NFV (Network Function Virtualization),
   specifically software based implementations of NFV data planes.
   Using [RFC2544] in the experience of the authors yields often not
   repetitive and not replicable end results due to a large number of
   factors that are out of scope for this draft.  MLRsearch aims to
   address this challenge in a simple way of getting the same result
   sooner, so more repetitions can be done to describe the
   replicability.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bmwg-mlrsearch-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/