Subject: [New-wg-docs] I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 02:42:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : IPv6-Only PE Design for IPv4-NLRI with IPv6-NH
        Authors         : Gyan Mishra
                          Mankamana Mishra
                          Jeff Tantsura
                          Sudha Madhavi
                          Qing Yang
                          Adam Simpson
                          Shuanglong Chen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-00.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2021-08-14

Abstract:
   As Enterprises and Service Providers upgrade their brown field or
   green field MPLS/SR core to an IPv6 transport, Multiprotocol BGP (MP-
   BGP)now plays an important role in the transition of their Provider
   (P) core network as well as Provider Edge (PE) Edge network from IPv4
   to IPv6.  Operators must be able to continue to support IPv4
   customers when both the Core and Edge networks are IPv6-Only.

   This document details an important External BGP (eBGP) PE-CE Edge
   IPv6-Only peering design that leverages the MP-BGP capability
   exchange by using IPv6 peering as pure transport, allowing both IPv4
   Network Layer Reachability Information (NLRI) and IPv6 Network Layer
   Reachability Information (NLRI)to be carried over the same (Border
   Gateway Protocol) BGP TCP session.  The design change provides the
   same Dual Stacking functionality that exists today with separate IPv4
   and IPv6 BGP sessions as we have today.  With this design change from
   a control plane perspective a single IPv6 is required for both IPv4
   and IPv6 routing updates and from a data plane forwarindg perspective
   an IPv6 address need only be configured on the PE and CE interface
   for both IPv4 and IPv6 packet forwarding.

   This document provides a much needed solution for Internet Exchange
   Point (IXP) that are facing IPv4 address depletion at large peering
   points.  With this design, IXP can now deploy PE-CE IPv6-Only eBGP
   Edge peering design to eliminate IPv4 provisioning at the Edge.  This
   core and edge IPv6-Only peering design paradigm change can apply to
   any eBGP peering, public internet or private, which can be either
   Core networks, Data Center networks, Access networks or can be any
   eBGP peering scenario.  This document provides vendor specific test
   cases for the IPv6-Only peering design as well as test results for
   the five major vendors stakeholders in the routing and switching
   indusrty, Cisco, Juniper, Arista, Nokia and Huawei.  With the test
   results provided for the IPv6-Only Edge peering design, the goal is
   that all other vendors around the world that have not been tested
   will begin to adopt and implement this new Best Current Practice for
   eBGP IPv6-Only Edge peering.

   As this issue with IXP IPv4 address depletion is a critical issue
   around the world, it is imperative for an immediate solution that can
   be implemented quickly.  This Best Current Practice IPv6-only eBGP
   peering design specification will help proliferate IPv6-Only
   deployments at the eBGP Edge network peering points to starting
   immediately at a minimum with operators around the world using Cisco,
   Juniper, Arista, Nokia and Huawei.  As other vendors start to
   implement this Best Current Practice, the IXP IPv4 address depletion
   gap will eventually be eliminated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design/

There is also an htmlized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-ipv6-only-pe-design-00

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/