Subject: Re: [newtrk] A few things I would like in a WGS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 18:49:30 +0100

I don't see what the high cost item is here.  XXX (WG, ART, whatever)
agrees that draft-ietf-wurzel-rabbit-03 is "WGS" and then a pretty simple
tool (or person!) copies the file, rewrites the file name in the file (one
line of grep?) and it gets posted in the new filespace.  Not really much
rocket science there!

The aliasing tool should be also pretty easy (any willing to hack this up
overnight?)

The big cost issue is maintaining the status page (hopefully in XML) but
that would be more an "thinking" rather than "IT" cost and we all know that
"thinking" is for free   ;-)

The main thing I wanted to see was a (simple) system that would run
parallel with the eixsting infrastructure - that way it really is a
"snapshot" (that is, fork out a side track from the main path of WG
process) and not something integrated into the main path.  Imagine what
would happen if someone posts , based on your original scheme, a document
like draft-ietf-wurzel-rabbit-wgs01bis.txt

- Alistair

                      Dave Crocker                                                                                                     
                      <[email-masked]         To:      Alistair AU URIE/FR/ALCATEL@ALCATEL                                            
                      t>                       cc:      Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]                      
                                               Subject: Re: [newtrk] A few things I would like in a WGS                                
                      11/02/2004 18:28                                                                                                 

Alistair,

the problem is the cost of creating and administering infrastructure.

so the trick is to find a way to use as much existing IETF mechanism as
possible.

AUac> Personally, I would prefer a completely seperate name space so that
when WG
AUac> wurzel (with or without ART or something else as well) agrees that
AUac> <draft-ietf-wurzel-rabbit-03> is stable enough for "WGS status" then
a copy
AUac> of the same file (except for the name line on each page) is stored
[under
AUac> say www.ietf.org/wgs] as <wgs-ietf-wurzel-rabbit-01>

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>
 Sunnyvale, CA  USA <tel:+1.408.246.8253>

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: Dave Crocker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:01:55 -0800

Alistair,

AUac>  and then a pretty simple
AUac> tool (or person!) copies the file, rewrites the file name in the file (one
AUac> line of grep?) and it gets posted in the new filespace.  Not really much
AUac> rocket science there!

Unfortunately, much of the work in the IETF reflects similar thinking.

Creation, administration and operations of procedures and tools are
expensive.

They take someone's time.  They take time repeatedly.

d/

.

---

From: Alex Rousskov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:23:40 -0700 (MST)

Dave, Alistair,

	I suspect that you are both correct: In a modern popular open
volunteer project, backend changes, interface improvements, and
regular maintenance are relatively cheap. IMHO, IETF infrastructure is
not run as such a project. Migration would probably be costly if not
impossible for many reasons. Thus, little hacks like appending magic
suffixes to file names are likely to remain preferred for a while.

Alex.

.