Subject: [newtrk] Spring Cleaning for the IETF!

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 14:21:37 -0700

Hi all,

Harald and I have been bouncing an idea around that (mostly) he wrote up 
about what to do about standards that are either old and smelly or 
perhaps stuck in "PS".  The basic idea is that a group of folks goes and 
looks at old stuff like "SUPDUP over Telnet" and decide if its status 
should (a) remain the same, (b) move to historic, (c) or move to 
informational.  They then take that list and ship it to the IESG with 
documentation indicating how the decision was made.  IESG still makes 
the final call.

This is a poor summary of a draft that is now available.  Please see 
attached.

Thoughts, comments, changes?  How crazy are we?

Regards,

Eliot

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

I-D ACTION:draft-alvestrand-newtrk-historical-00.txt

To: i-d-announce at ietf.org

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-alvestrand-newtrk-historical-00.txt

From: Internet-Drafts at ietf.org

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:32:57 -0400

List-help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>

List-id: <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

List-post: <mailto:[email-masked]>

List-subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>,<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>

List-unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce>,<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>

Reply-to: internet-drafts at ietf.org

Sender: i-d-announce-admin at ietf.org

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

Title : Moving documents to Historic: A procedure
Author(s) : H. Alvestrand, E. Lear
Filename : draft-alvestrand-newtrk-historical-00.txt
Pages : 7
Date : 2004-4-14

This document describes a procedure for performing the downgrading of
old Proposed and Draft standards described in RFC 2026 without
placing an unreasonable load on groups charged with performing other
tasks in the IETF.

It defines a new group, called the 'Commission for Protocol
Obsolesence', which shall recommend to the IESG downgrading or
progressing documents on the IETF standards track. Ultimate
decisions still rest of with the IESG, with appeal to the IAB.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-newtrk-historical-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
"get draft-alvestrand-newtrk-historical-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
[email-masked].
In the body type:
"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-newtrk-historical-00.txt".

NOTE: The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility. To use this
feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
command. To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
a MIME-compliant mail reader. Different MIME-compliant mail readers
exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-alvestrand-newtrk-historical-00.txt>

Prev by Date:
I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc3490bis-02.txt

Next by Date:
I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc3491bis-01.txt

Previous by thread:
I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc3490bis-02.txt

Next by thread:
I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-rfc3491bis-01.txt

Index(es):

Date

Thread

Note: Messages sent to this list are the opinions of the senders and do not imply endorsement by the IETF.

---

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:01:15 -0500

I-D ACTION:draft-alvestrand-newtrk-historical-00.txtI enjoyed looking
this document over. Thanks for taking this on.

The problem, as every sixteen-year-old boy knows, is that if you only
spring-clean your closets every decade or so, there are some skeletons
stuck in there, too.

- The first paragraph still "conforms to 2026"! no one reads the
boilerplate any more, do we?

- "feature" never got defined. Are you talking about an RFC that
defines a feature, or an RFC that defines five features, four of which
are used and one is not, so the unused feature should be Historic?
That's harder, I think.

- section 3 seems to express a concern that anyone who is still using
SMNPv1 would give two hoots whether it's reclassified as Historic or
not. I would suggest waiting for people who care about IETF standard
maturity levels but don't care about running current protocol levels
to appear before trying to accommodate them. These protocols will
still run whether they are classified Historic or not.

- I'm confused by 3.1 and related sentences that make it sound like
the IESG publishes the recommendations it agrees with, instead of the
commission making its recommendations public. We're spending enough
time bemoaning the loss of transparency that I'd recommend the latter
approach.

- The document doesn't ever actually say that the commission should
recommend advancing immature (! this isn't quite the right word for an
RFC that's been PS for twenty years, is it?) RFCs. Could the
commission say, "... and it's blindingly obvious to us that (to pick
one at random) RFC 1144, on TCP/IP header compression, is probably
safe to advance to Draft Standard, since it's been widely deployed for
a decade or so and we still have an Internet"? ... and if not, why
not?

Have a nice weekend,

Spencer

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html