Subject: RE: [newtrk] question one for newtrk

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:32:34 -0700

> Scott's question one hinged on IESG review.  My problem with that
> question is that it seems to presume a model in which IESG review
> is only involved late in the process of developing a specification,
> and I'm firmly convinced that IESG needs to be involved earlier.

There is a difference between "involving the IESG" and "mandating formal
review". Review be done in the absence of any particular process: the
area directors can decide on their own will to review any draft at any
time, and to communicate the results to the WG. Mandating formal review,
on the other hand, is guaranteed to create bottlenecks and bureaucratic
complications.

-- Christian Huitema

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:29:07 -0400

> There is a difference between "involving the IESG" and "mandating
> formal review". Review be done in the absence of any particular
> process: the area directors can decide on their own will to review any
> draft at any time, and to communicate the results to the WG. Mandating
> formal review, on the other hand, is guaranteed to create bottlenecks
> and bureaucratic complications.

The current model, where IESG is expected to approve specifications that
have been worked on for years by a group with no defined methodology,
essentially no external oversight, and little clue donation from those
not directly involved in the group's day-to-day deliberations, is
guaranteed to create bottlenecks and technical complications.

Formal review need not create significant bottlenecks if (a) the scope
of formal review at each stage is well-defined and (b) the process is
designed to allow pipelining (continued work in parallel with formal
review of earlier stages) rather than forcing stop-and-wait.
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html