Subject: Re: [newtrk] Comments on draft-klensin-newtrk-std-repurposing-00.txt

From: [email-masked] (scott bradner)
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 18:18:09 -0400 (EDT)

maybe and maybe not but I fully expect that people get confused 
by the lack of a clear picture and do not implement what we would
consider to be the "right" version

Scott

----

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:09:40 +0300

Aaron,

> I can only tell my story - about implementers who set out to implement 
> "SMTP" based on RFC 821 (the full standard), instead of RFC 2821 (the 
> proposed standard), about 18 months ago. In this case, they DID care 
> about standard maturity level - apparently, more than we do.

I can back that up, with TCP.  I know folks who wanted to deploy
TCP for the 1st time in a consumer product.  They and noticed TCP
is at full standard, STD007 (RFC 793) so that was what they implemented.
During testing, they noticed that the performance was no where near
TCP performance in Linux, for example.  They had to go research
more to figure out what RFCs are needed to actually produce modern
TCP behavior ...

John

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html