Subject: Re: [newtrk] first two meta questions

From: Sam Hartman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 18:25:23 -0400

Catching up from a huge mail backlog.

    Scott> 1/ Do people think that it would be useful for the IETF to
    Scott> have a meta way to say what an IETF technology consists of
    Scott> or is the current system of numbered RFCs sufficient to
    Scott> meet our needs?

Yes.

    Scott> Please answer the question without getting bogged down in
    Scott> the details - if people do not feel that it's even a good
    Scott> idea to do this we will never need to worry about the
    Scott> details.  Make the assumption that the mechanism could be
    Scott> something like the ISD that the Johns and I have been
    Scott> thinking of or the database that Doug describes or maybe
    Scott> something different that we come up with later.

I'm much closer to supporting something like what Doug describes than
what you and the Johns describe.

    Scott> 2/ What would be your answer to question #1 if such
    Scott> documents might never be created for very complicated or
    Scott> some historic technologies/ (i.e., are such documents
    Scott> useful if they have less than full coverage)

My answer to #1 would be no if this was required for all technologies;
I think that is a cost that is too high.  My answer is that if it were
optional it could be a reasonable tradeoff between cost and benefit.

.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html