Subject: [newtrk] an alternate standards promotion process

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bradner)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 19:20:34 -0500 (EST)

the following ID is (imo) in charter for newtrk so I agreed with John 
that it should be published as a newtrk ID to stimulate discussion

this publication should not be taken to mean that newtrk has reached
consensus on this path (that should be clear since there has yet
to be any discussion on it but I thought I would say that just so 
that noone would misunderstand)

-----
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the New IETF Standards Track Discussion
Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Cleaning the Attic II: Promoting
Marketplace-approved Standards

	Author(s)	: J. Klensin, S. Dawkins
	Filename	: draft-ietf-newtrk-promotion-00.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 2006-2-23
	
Historically, Internet Standards have been characterized by three
primary criteria: the specifications are stable, implementations of
them have been demonstrated to be interoperable, and they have
achieved sufficient deployment to be considered useful.  The IETF has
developed specific rules for determining whether those criteria have
been met, but the rules and their implementation have sometimes not
adequately reflected those underlying criteria.  The result has been
that the application of the rules has not resulted in STDs for all
protocols that meet the underlying criteria.  This document proposes
a process experiment to reclassify standards-track documents whose
interoperability and utility have been demonstrated by the fact of
deployment and use in products being used by Internet users.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-newtrk-promotion-00.txt

...
.
newtrk resources:_____________________________________________________
web user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk.html
mhonarc archive: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/newtrk/index.html