Subject: Re: minor comments on draft-ietf-nfsv4-00.txt

From: Naidu Bollineni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:54:16 -0700 (PDT)

> >                 utf8string tag;

RFC 1832 defines the string to have the length and followed by data itself.
That means a string includes a minimum of 4 bytes of length first.

Is this true in case of COMPOUND4result tag? Or it is not because it is part of
the bigger structure ?

utf8string definition doesn't talk anything about.

Naidu.

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:54:02 -0700 (PDT)

> Is this true in case of COMPOUND4result tag? Or it is not because it is part
> of the bigger structure ?
> 

The secification says:

4.  Basic Data Types

   Arguments and results from operations will be described in terms of
   basic XDR types defined in [RFC1832].  The following data types will 
   be defined in terms of basic XDR types:
...

   utf8string:  opaque <>

        A counted array of octets that contains a UTF-8 string.

        Note: Section 11, Internationalization, covers the rational of
        using UTF-8.

The above unambiguously states that urf8string is an array of N 8 bit bytes,
prefixed by a 32 bit count. Please read the RFC on XDR.

	-mre