Subject: Delegation Proposal - huge favor!

From: [email-masked] (Brian Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:21:10 -0700 (PDT)

Can you feedback for delegation proposal to me?

In/out?  Issues?  Smooth out during proto?

beepy

---

From: [email-masked] (Brian Pawlowski)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 15:35:27 -0700 (PDT)

Oh well.

So, there are two discussions going on.

- delegation
- ACLs

I know there's been a lot of mail on this, and it is a lot to cover.

I have been sending out some e-mails to people on list
requesting they take the time to review and get feedback in.

I think some stuff, as has been pointed out, won't be really obvious
until we do the prototyping - see the impact on existing client and
server frameworks, how it plugs in.

The ACL stuff is a question of "Is this sufficient?" in one sense -
there are existing (incompatible) ACL protocols as was discussed in
Oslo and on alias.  Carl is attempting to provide a workable
solution.  The general consensus at Oslo was yes for standardizing
the ACL protocol, with details needed to delineate issues and
move to prototype ready spec.

Delegation was slightly different in that it proposed a new (to NFS) 
feature to enhance performance by applying client's opportunities
to locally cache state/data and reduce server loading.  Experiences
in Windows file sharing usage form the practical basis for this
proposal.

In moving towards the prototyping in the near future, I would like to get 
any comments on the two proposals - it would make the effort of prototype
and evaluation more valuable if we are evaluating protocol areas
that are near final "specification" following work group discussion.

beepy