Subject: Re: minor comments on draft-ietf-nfsv4-00.txt

From: Naidu Bollineni <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:46:10 -0700 (PDT)

> >      struct COMPOUND4res {
> >                 nfsstat4 status; /* status of last operation */
> >                 utf8string tag;

I guess tag should have atleast 4 byte size, (even if there is nothing to fill,
fill with nulls.) Otherwise, the client may assume the rest of the results to
be part of the tag itself, if the result starts immediately after status field
with the server deciding to ignore tag.

> >                 resultdata data<>
> >      };

Naidu.

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 13:49:06 -0700 (PDT)

> I guess tag should have atleast 4 byte size, (even if there is nothing to
> fill, fill with nulls.) Otherwise, the client may assume the rest of the
> results to be part of the tag itself, if the result starts immediately after
> status field with the server deciding to ignore tag.

I don't understand. The tag field resolves to a variable length array. The
array will have a a count of zero, following by zero bytes, and a count of
greater than zero, followed by a that many bytes, plus even bytes to pad to a
4 byte boundary. 

What's the difference between a tag and an operation that is encapulsated in a
variable length byte array?

	-mre