Subject: chown_restricted

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 17:07:09 -0700 (PDT)

spec says:

 chown_restricted   16   boolean        READ
                                                   Will a request to
                                                   change ownership be
                                                   honored?

On my server, if the  rstchown tunable is set to 1, means that only superuser can 
change the uid on a file. So do I return TRUE or FALSE. The name of
attribute suggests I should return TRUE. The Description says I
should return FALSE.

I think name of the attribute should be
	chown_allowed

In my prototype I'm going to return FALSE, unless caller is root, or unless
rstchown is zero, and the caller has the same uid as the file. This way, when
(not if :-) ) we change the name of attribute, I won't have to change much
code.

	-,re

	-mre

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 19:39:08 -0500

> (not if :-) ) we change the name of attribute, I won't have to change much

The name of the attribute should be changed as you suggest.  
Will be in the Oct. 22nd draft.

Spencer