Subject: FATTR4_CHOWN_RESTRICTED

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 17:08:51 -0700 (PDT)

In the process of upgrading changing our NFS V4 filesystem's, VOP_PATHCONF 
entry point to use NFs V4's GETATTR, I now realize that the bug is not in the
name of the attribute, but in the description.

The description in the i-d says:

 				Will a request to
                                change ownership be
                                honored?

Based on some research, such as the NFS V3 specification's PATHCONF
specification, the meaning of this attribute is in fact:

	If TRUE, the server will reject any request to change either the
 	owner or the group associated with a file if the caller is not the
	privileged user. (Uid 0.)

The above is  a tad UNIX specific. I would change it to,

	If TRUE, the server will reject any request to change either the
 	owner or the group associated with a file if the caller is not the
	privileged user (for exmaple, "root" on UNIX operating environments).

and use the above for V4.

So I withdraw my earlier suggested to change the name of the 
attribute to "chown_denied"

	-mre

---

From: Carl Beame <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Oct 1999 02:10:20 +0100

> and use the above for V4.

That should be changed:

"if the caller is not A privileged user" (for example. Take Ownership
privilege in NT).

- Carl

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 05:19:32 -0700 (PDT)

> "if the caller is not A privileged user" (for example. Take Ownership

Agreed.