Subject: Re: COMPOUND and the nfs reply cache

From: "Sergey Klyushin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 12:04:54 -0400

>Working on COMPOUND for the bake-off, I've run into some interesting issues
>that I wanted to bring to everybody's attention.  I'm not sure that they
affect
>the spec too much if at all, but I wanted to warn anybody who is tempted to
>use COMPOUND too creatively.  The server, at least my server, might not
>be able to cope and return NFS4ERR_RESOURCE.
>
It's not clear from protocol where NFS4ERR_RESOURCE will be returned:
as a status of COMPOUND4res or status of a procedure inside COMPOUND
request or both. The protocol says that the only error for COMPOUND
procedure
(except NFS4_OK) could be NFS4ERR_RESOURCE, but this error never show up
in any COMPOUND procedure.
I believe NFS4ERR_RESOURCE should be returned in both places so that client
will know about this error in advance before processing respond from server.

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:10:29 -0700 (PDT)

> will know about this error in advance before processing respond from server.

I haven't read the relevant text but if the results COMPOUND operation array
is of length > than zero, then the status of last oepration MUST always equal
the status of the COMPOUND procedure. If the specification doesn't say that,
it should (and will in the future rev). 

I'm coding my client to insist on that.

	-mre