Subject: Transport statement (take 3)

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:16:32 -0600

Again. But before that I would like to quote from a previous
email from Vern Paxson:

From http://playground.sun.com/pub/nfsv4/nfsv4-wg-archive/1104.html

"> I would hate to restrict NFSv4 to TCP. Already, for NFSv2/3, some vendors
> disable TCP by default. There is little reason to use TCP in a LAN
> environment.

It will be a requirement that NFSv4 observes proper congestion control.
An easy way to get this is to always layer it on top of TCP. But this
can also be done layering (sometimes) on top of UDP, given a UDP congestion
control mechanism (which is one of the possible outcomes of the SLUMS BOF).

Vern"

-----

2.1.  Ports and Transports

   Historically, NFS version 2 and version 3 servers have resided on
   port 2049.  The registered port 2049 [RFC1700] for the NFS protocol
   should be the default configuration.  Using the registered port for
   NFS services means the NFS client will not need to use the RPC
   binding protocols as described in [RFC1833]; this will allow NFS to
   transit firewalls.

   To provide congestion control, the RPC service for NFS version 4 MUST
   provide support for either TCP/IPv4 or TCP/IPv6.  If the operating
   environment implements TCP/IPv4, NFSv4 SHOULD be supported over
   TCP/IPv4.  If the operating environment implements TCP/IPv6, NFSv4
   SHOULD be supported over TCP/IPv6.  The NFS client and server may use
   other transports and in those cases a mechanism may be provided to
   override TCP usage in favor of another transport.