Subject: Transport requirements for NFSv4 (take 2)

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:57:24 -0600

Comments?

2.1.  Ports and Transports

   Historically, NFS version 2 and version 3 servers have resided on
   UDP/TCP port 2049.  For NFS version 4, the transport in use by the
   RPC layer must provide reasonable congestion control.  When TCP or
   UDP is used, the default TCP port should be 2049 [RFC1700].  Using
   the registered port for NFS services means the NFS client will not
   need to use the RPC binding protocols as described in [RFC1833]; this
   will allow NFS to transit firewalls.

   To provide for interoperability and congestion control, the RPC
   service for NFS version 4 MUST use either TCP/IPv4 or TCP/IPv6.  If
   your network stack implements TCP/IPv4, NFSv4 SHOULD use TCP/IPv4.
   If your network stack implements TCP/IPv6, NFSv4 SHOULD use TCP/IPv6.
   The NFS client and server may use other transports that provide
   congestion control and in those cases a mechanism may be provided to
   override TCP usage in favor of another transport.

---

From: Eric Werme USG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:17:16 -0500

Comments?

      Historically, NFS version 2 and version 3 servers have resided on
      UDP/TCP port 2049.  For NFS version 4, the transport in use by the
      RPC layer must provide reasonable congestion control.

That's a good way to word it, as it permits no congestion control to
be reasonable for the application at hand, then confirms it by mentioning
UDP in passing.

     When TCP or
     UDP is used, the default TCP port should be 2049 [RFC1700]. 
..............................^^^ delete

We would've been a lot easier on you had you referenced "fear of ..." in
the first message.  :-)

It was a dark and stormy night when ... knocked, knocked, knocked on
the portal.  The engineers looked up from their blue screens and
realized their state of the art gateways would offer no protection
from the Area Advisor who was about to pick up the gauntlet and lay
down the Law.

	-Ric