Subject: RE: Transport requirements for NFSv4 (take 2)

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 1999 10:22:59 -0800

>    Comments?
>    
>    2.1.  Ports and Transports
>    
>       Historically, NFS version 2 and version 3 servers have 
> resided on
>       UDP/TCP port 2049.  For NFS version 4, the transport in 
> use by the
>       RPC layer must provide reasonable congestion control.
> 
> That's a good way to word it, as it permits no congestion control to
> be reasonable for the application at hand, then confirms it 
> by mentioning
> UDP in passing.

I guess it was just too subtle for me.  Never mind.

---

From: Gordon Waidhofer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 11:18:17 -0800

Is there a notion of a "session", especially a
"recoverable session," in NFSv4? This would stand
to reason for LOCK, OPEN, and CACHE recovery.
If so, isn't there a requirement of the NFSv4
transport to indicate a transport breach so
that session recovery may be instigated?
If not, then what would trigger session recovery?

-- 
==================================================================
  Gordon W Waidhofer                    Traakan Software, Inc.
  [email-masked]                       111 Main St., Suite #5
  650-947-1583  Direct                  Los Altos, CA  94042
  650-947-1580  Main                    http://www.traakan.com
  650-947-1588  Fax

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 13:34:34 -0600

> If not, then what would trigger session recovery?

There isn't a requirement for a transport session.  The client
could open a separate TCP connection for each of its
requests if it likes.  The trigger for recovery is the
renewal of a lease and the server letting the client
know that it has restarted or that other state has been
lost.

Spencer