Subject: RE: NFSv4 at Proposed Standard (was Re: downgrade/upgrade)

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 08:24:08 -0800

Spencer wrote: 
> The real question should be "Is the WG willing to pull the current
> Proposed Standard back and re-work it?"  I say Proposed Standard here
> since the IESG has provided its approval and the only action left is
> the final edits of draft-07 before it becomes and RFC.

So when are these final edits going to be done?

The IETF doesn't seem to run on Internet Time, to say the least.

I have this image of a scene out of Dickens, with rows of clerks
copying out the RFC using quill pens.  Perhaps not, but what is
going on?

I had been assuming that the progression would be:

    1) Proposed standard

    2) Get two full implementations working

    3) Draft standard

Clearly 1) will precede 3) and 2) must precede 3), but do we know
that 1) will precede 2)?

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:19:46 -0600

> Clearly 1) will precede 3) and 2) must precede 3), but do we know

Based on the contents of:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue.html

The document draft-ietf-nfsv4-07.txt is in the "EDIT" stage.
I believe that it has received IANA review.

The document is at the top of the editor's queue but based
on the size of the document and other unknown factors it is
difficult to tell when the final 48 hour author edit period
will be done.

In general it takes time to get these documents out.  Certainly with
230+ pages it will take additional time for editing review, etc.

I imagine that 1) will happen before 2).

-- 

- Spencer -