Subject: RE: Issues list for RFC3010

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:53:51 -0700

Spencer Shepler wrote: 
> On Thu, Sergey Klyushin wrote:
> > >Issue08:
> > >Change of "tag" in COMPOUND4args. At a minimum the server should return the
> > same tag length/contents that were >included in the request. Alternate
> > changes are: fixed length tag or no tag at all.
> > 
> > I vote to remove "tag" at all. If it used for debugging - use snoop, if it
> > used for caching - use something else (xids from RPC)
> 
> Well, I have found that in using snoop it is really nice to have a tag
> string to give you some indication of what the client is attempting to
> accomplish with the string of COMPOUND operations.
> 
> My personal preference would be to have a fixed length string.  We
> could even make it a regular xdr string type to avoid the utf8
> "overhead".

What overhead?

If all the characters are pure ASCII, there is no overhead to UTF-8.

Characters between 128-255 require an extra byte.

Characters between 256-2047 require two bytes in UTF-8 but they would
in any encoding.

Characters bewteen 2048-65535 require an extra byte.

So are you planning tags that have characters 128-255 or 2048-65535?
I know the latter wouldn't help me too much, even if snoop were to
print them out.

If we are going to have string tags it seems awfully provincial
not to allow the full range of UCS characters.

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 15:18:35 -0500

> not to allow the full range of UCS characters.  

I agree with your point; I was just trying to offer an alternative.

-- 

- Spencer -

---

From: "Sergey Klyushin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:56:56 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
    > From: Spencer Shepler [mailto:[email-masked]]
    > Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 4:19 PM
    > To: [email-masked]
    > Subject: Re: Issues list for RFC3010
    >
    >
So, if "tag" is used for debug only, alternative would be to remove it and
use Ethereal to see all operations right away

Sergey

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:12:38 -0500

> use Ethereal to see all operations right away

I agree there are many ways that one can look at network traffic to
view the full set of operations in the compound op.

My point is that the client may provide some additional operating
context by placing something useful in the tag that explains more than
just looking at the set of operations.  We all know that debugging can
occur in production environments and anything to make that easier on
me and the customer is what I am interested in. 

I am just proposing a solution that is in the middle.  When this
initially came up, the main issue seemed to be that the server was
returning a string that was different than what the client was
returning.  

-- 

- Spencer -