Subject: GETATTR questions

From: Peter Åstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:41:19 +0200 (CEST)

I know most of you are at the bakeoff right now, but I'm sending some
questions anyway...

I have some GETATTR questions. 

1) What should GETATTR return if attr_request contains _SET bits, eg. 
FATTR4_TIME_ACCESS_SET and/or FATTR4_TIME_MODIFY_SET? Should 
NFS4ERR_INVAL be returned, or should the request succeed but return a 
obj_attributes with the _SET-bit missing? 

2) Should GETATTR(FATTR4_SUPPORTED_ATTRS) always return at least all 
mandatory attributes? Or to put it another way: Can there be objects that 
does not have all mandatory attributes, even if the server normally 
supports all mandatory attributes?

-- 
Peter Åstrand                Telephone: +46-13-29 08 61
Cendio Systems               E-mail: [email-masked]
Teknikringen 3
583 30 Linköping

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:30:53 -0500

> obj_attributes with the _SET-bit missing? 

My opinion is that since these attributes are defined as WRITE only,
the server should return NFS4ERR_INVAL.  Since we have added
NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP it may be reasonable to return this as well but
that could be misleading so INVAL is probably more appropriate.

> supports all mandatory attributes?

The attributes are mandatory.  They MUST be returned by the server if
the client requests them.

-- 

- Spencer -