Subject: Re: new state model

From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:57:16 -0400

Thank you for the guidance.  I'm not familiar with Solaris innards, but
based on my reading of the Solaris afs client code, I'm guessing it handles
credentials in the same way OpenBSD does.

But it's not the credentials I'm concerned with, it's the open flags.  I
don't want to release a write-access share lock when the client still has
writers active.

However, I think I can handle this by associating open_owners with creds (as
you suggest), and then releasing them in an ordered way, read access
followed by write access.

My guess right now is that the new state model is implementable.  But only
experience will tell.

Sorry I won't be able to be at the Bakeoff next week, my wife is due to
deliver our first son any day now, and I'd like to stick around for that.

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:08:21 -0500

> Thank you for the guidance.  I'm not familiar with Solaris innards, but

It has been late in coming; my apologies.

> don't want to release a write-access share lock when the client still has

Right.  As mentioned, I think this will work in the case of Solaris
since the client will treat all open files for the same credential
under one open_owner until the last close() is done and do the
over-the-wire CLOSE. 

> My guess right now is that the new state model is implementable.  But only

Agreed.  First order of business on Monday will be to work out the
details with everyone.  I will summarize that discussion and post to
the WG alias (along with some pictures, hopefully).

-- 

- Spencer -