Subject: help re: V4 locking

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:07:41 -0500 (EST)

Help...

I've finally gotten to the stage where I'm trying to implement the locking
part of V4 (I've been avoiding this for quite a while:-) and after looking
at the spec, I'm basically confused.

So here are some pretty basic questions that someone might be willing to
answer:

1 - Does a stateid refer to a lock owner or a <lock_owner,file_lock>?
    (In one place, the spec mentions "a stateid is a shorthand for a
     lock owner", in others it seems to imply it refers to a specific
     lock for an owner.)
2 - Why is a stateid an argument to the LOCK subop and where has it come
     from? (Is it assumed that an OPEN has happened first?)
3 - What stateid is returned by LOCK, LOCKU? (Is it just the stateid that
     was provided as an argument, so the client can verify which succeeded
     or is it meant to be a new one that represents updated lock state?)

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help, rick
ps: If there is some supporting doc that explains this, please let me know.

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:25:50 -0600

> at the spec, I'm basically confused.

We have been going through protocol changes from what is in RFC3010
and even though the protocol description exists the supporting written
description has not been posted to the WG yet.  We just finished the
most recent bakeoff last week and made some additional changes.

My goal is to have a description of the new state model out to the WG
alias by the end of this week and this will reflect our implementation
experience and any outstanding items.

In the mean time the current .x file is located at:
http://www.nfsv4.org/rfc3010updates/nfs4_prot.x

With the corresponding descriptive text, I am not sure it is of much
value; but it is a start...

-- 

- Spencer -