Subject: ACCESS4_EXECUTE on directories

From: Peter Åstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:05:56 +0200 (CEST)

3010 says ACCESS4_EXECUTE has no meaning for directories. Should a server
return "supported" when doing an ACCESS operation with ACCESS4_EXECUTE on
a directory?

-- 
Peter Åstrand                Telephone: +46-13-29 08 61
Cendio Systems               E-mail: [email-masked]
Teknikringen 3
583 30 Linköping

---

From: "Kendrick M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:48:09 -0400 (EDT)

My interpretation was that the server does return "supported"
for a directory, but does not set the ACCESS4_EXECUTE bit in
the response.  Did anyone else interpret this differently?

I think I speak for everyone when I say that this kind of
detailed analysis of the NFSv4 ops will be incredibly useful
for server implementors.  I'm looking forward to your analysis
of the state model!

Kendrick

---

From: Peter Åstrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:07:11 +0200 (CEST)

> for server implementors.

Great. I will continue to ask lots & lots of questions about details, then
:-)

>I'm looking forward to your analysis
> of the state model!

Um, that's probably the most tricky part. My plan is to do simple
operation checkings (with Boundary Analysis etc) first and wait with the
state model a while.

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:51:55 -0500

> the response.  Did anyone else interpret this differently?

Well, if the server supports the bit then presumably it can be "set"
at some point in the "access" part of the ACCESS response.  Since it
has not meaning for directories, by definition, it seems like the
server should not state that it is supported for that directory
object.  I am not sure it is a major point but agree that it should be
clarified.

The same question can be applied to the ACCESS4_LOOKUP bit since it
has no meaning for non-directory objects.  Should "supported" be set
for an ACCESS call of a non-directory object?  :-)

Spencer