Subject: RE: Replication/Migration conference call minutes, 5/29

From: "Yoder, Alan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 10:51:40 -0700

>   Brad raised another interesting issue: how should file
>   data and metadata be arranged on the wire?  

   Could I ask a possibly stupid question?
Are files with streams, as in NTFS or a NetApp
filer, covered by the considerations here?

Alan

===============================================================
Alan G. Yoder                                    [email-masked]
Network Appliance, Inc.                           
Sunnyvale, CA                                      408-822-6919
===============================================================

---

From: Robert Thurlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:56:55 -0600 (MDT)

> filer, covered by the considerations here?

Yes.  NFSv4 and the repl-mig work both refer to these as "named
attributes".  Replicating these is one of the things that "tar"
and "cpio" can't do in a multi-vendor environment.

Rob T