Subject: Re: NFSv4 Replication and Migration: design team conference call

From: Andrew Hisgen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:21:22 -0700 (PDT)

Robert, and others,

I read this email too late to attend this.

I work on Sun's cluster product, where we provide a highly-available
NFS server (HA-NFS).  Our HA-NFS and our cluster product rely on
a model of multi-hosted disks, that is, each disk is connected
to more than one host.  Such that if one host dies, a suriviving
host can take over.

I believe that the model of replication and migration that you
folks have in mind is more general, and does not assume 
multi-hosted disks.

I would like to somehow be involved (or at least listen in)
on your design conversations, to try to be aware of any
issues where what you are doing may actively interfere
with a multi-hosted disk failover model.

Also, one topic I would like to better understand is state
preservation.

thanks,
--Andy Hisgen
Sun Cluster
email: [email-masked]

> X-Authentication-Warning: sunroof.eng.sun.com: majordomo set sender to 
[email-masked] using -f
> Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:07:37 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Robert Thurlow <[email-masked]>
> Subject: NFSv4 Replication and Migration: design team conference call
> To: Dave Noveck <[email-masked]>, "William A.(Andy) Adamson" 
<[email-masked]>, Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>, Brad Cain 
<[email-masked]>, Brian Pawlowski <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> MIME-Version: 1.0
> List-Archive: </var/mail/nfsv4-wg.archive/>
> List-Owner: <mailto:[email-masked]>
> List-Subscribe: <mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe>
> List-Unsubscribe: 
<mailto:[email-masked]?body=unsubscribe>
> 
> The design team working on NFSv4 migration and replication will be
> meeting *today*, May 29, at 11am PT / noon MT / 1pm CT / 2pm ET.
> We will be discussing issues that have come up as work on an Internet
> Draft has proceeded, including:
> 
> 	- proper scope of the initial work in the WG
> 	- replication and migration of filesystem subsets
> 	- state preservation
> 
> Others from the NFSv4 working group are welcome to participate, of
> course.  We will use the following teleconference numbers:
> 
> U.S. Toll Free	1-877-771-7176
> Direct Dial	1-225-383-1099
> Access Code	575650
> 
> Rob T
>

---

From: Robert Thurlow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:30:49 -0600 (MDT)

> with a multi-hosted disk failover model.

We'd welcome your involvement.  I'd summarize the current work as
pertaining to what happens when you want to copy or (especially)
move a filesystem over a network, where you may either be unable
to have the new server handle the same filehandle or need to take
pains to communicate the filehandle.  Multi-hosted disks may not
need attention from the server-to-server protocol we need to work
out, but please do keep us honest in that area :-)  The minutes
will appear on the WG alias, and I'll include you in the review
of an Internet-Draft-to-be we talked about in the meeting.

Rob T