Subject: [nfsv4] RFC3530 clarification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:43:29 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry to bug you guys again, but here's one more I'll not sure about.

Should a server check seq#'s during open and lock reclaims?

- Since the client is reclaiming a non-conflicting set of opens and
  locks, it seems to me that ordering isn't important, but I'm not
  sure? I also noted that opens with reclaim don't get confirmed,
  so I was concerned that the client might get started with the
  wrong sequence#.
As such, I had decided that seq# checking during reclaim wasn't necessary.

Now, I'm pretty well convinced that the fact that opens don't do
confirmation shouldn't be a problem, since retries will still have
the same starting sequence# and since the RFC doesn't seem to say
otherwise...

Seq#s should be checked during reclaims.

So folks, which is it?

Do you simply assume that opens during reclaim are automatically confirmed,
without further confirmation required?

Thanks again for any help, rick

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 14:21:31 -0500

> without further confirmation required?

OPENs for reclaim are supposed to be considered as "confirmed" by the
server; see section 8.1.8.  The Solaris server does this.  For normal
OPENs the confirmation is asked for.  For reclaim OPENs, no
confirmation is asked for but sequence ids are checked for both opens
and locks.

Spencer