Subject: Fw: [nfsv4] rfc3530 clarification

From: Stevan Steve Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 12:28:49 -0700

Spencer Shepler wrote:
|In this specific case, the applications best choice is to use file
|locking and assume it is advisory in nature.

Don't forget delegation in this discussion.  e.g. what should the client
assume?

-Steve.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:58:04 -0700

> Don't forget delegation in this discussion.  e.g. what should the client

Delegation does not changes this assumption.  The client nor application
can depend on a delegation being provided by the server.  If a
delegation
is provided, the file locking capabilities of the server are not
modified.
The client is unable to provide more strigent file locking semantics
because
it does not know when/if the delegation will be recalled.

Spencer