Subject: [nfsv4] NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP

From: Stevan Steve Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 19:55:56 -0700

Clarification needed..

Does the following statement from the RFC..  "A server should be tolerant 
of requests for unsupported attributes and simply not return them 'rather 
than considering the request an error'."  suggest that a client should 
consider the possibility of servers continuing to process subsequent 
operations after NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP was encountered in the procedure?

I would also like to confirm that a client upon receiving 
NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP will compare the requested and returned attribute 
bitmap to determine which attributes were not supported.  For those 
attributes which are supported the client expects associated attribute 
values to be returned {getattr, readdir} by the operation returning 
NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP.  This is the proposed method for clients to determine 
server supported attributes.

Thanks,
Stevan C. Allen

---

From: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Nov 2003 22:55:30 -0500

>>>>> " " == Stevan Steve Allen <[email-masked]> writes:

     > Clarification needed..  Does the following statement from the
     > RFC..  "A server should be tolerant of requests for unsupported
     > attributes and simply not return them 'rather than considering
     > the request an error'."  suggest that a client should consider
     > the possibility of servers continuing to process subsequent

I thought the above quote was referring to GETATTR requests (which of
course are not allowed to return NFS4ERR_ATTRNOTSUPP).

Cheers,
  Trond

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4