Subject: [nfsv4] re: more on server cache

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:06:33 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

> Currently in such a sitation our server returns a RESOURCE error. I
> believe the spec allows that. This is what the spec says about that:

I'd be interested in hearing what others (particularily client writers)
have to say. My fear would be that clients don't know what to do when they
get NFS4ERR_RESOURCE, except maybe EIO to the process. As such, I haven't
used it and wouldn't want to for the cache case, since not being able to
cache the reply is not going to affect correct operation 99.9% (or more?)
of the time. I see it as a reply when the server just can't continue and
uses it to satisfy the "must reply to every compound RPC" rule?

Anyhow, we'll see what others think, rick

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Eric Kustarz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:32:32 -0800

>Anyhow, we'll see what others think, rick

The Solaris client currently will failover to a read only replica if one 
is provided, otherwise retry the call.

eric