Subject: [nfsv4] owner/group name string support requirements

From: Stevan Steve Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:38:43 -0800

I wish to confirm the following NFSv4 statement prevents both of the 
following server implementations from enabling support for the owner and 
group string name in the NFS attributes.

5.8  ..When a server does accept an owner
   or owner_group value as valid on a SETATTR (and similarly for the
   owner and group strings in an acl), it is promising to return that
   same string when a corresponding GETATTR is done

Condition 1.

Server may map multiple owner strings to a single UID.  Where a ls command 
may display a different owner for the file you just created.

Condition 2. 

Server can not store and return domain names (seems obvious)

Thanks,
Stevan C. Allen

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:57:46 -0800

> may display a different owner for the file you just created.

If the server can do it, so can the client, and, presumably, mapping the
UID back to a name results in the same "canonical" name on both, the
client and server.

So, no, many-to-one username->UID mappings (and similary for groups) do
not prevent server support for user/group name strings on the wire.

> Server can not store and return domain names (seems obvious)

Seems obvious, but is wrong.  See:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-williams-nfsv4-ace-mapping-01.txt

Cheers,

Nico
-- 

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4