Subject: RE: [nfsv4] owner/group name string support requirements

From: "wurzl, mario" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:57:09 -0500

Why would one have "Condition 1" ? From my understanding, UIDs should not be
used for more than one user.
 
Mario

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Stevan
Steve Allen
Sent: Wednesday, December 10, 2003 14:39
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] owner/group name string support requirements

I wish to confirm the following NFSv4 statement prevents both of the
following server implementations from enabling support for the owner and
group string name in the NFS attributes. 

5.8  ..When a server does accept an owner
  or owner_group value as valid on a SETATTR (and similarly for the
  owner and group strings in an acl), it is promising to return that
  same string when a corresponding GETATTR is done 

Condition 1. 

Server may map multiple owner strings to a single UID.  Where a ls command
may display a different owner for the file you just created. 

Condition 2. 

Server can not store and return domain names (seems obvious) 

Thanks,
Stevan C. Allen