Subject: [nfsv4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:06:05 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Mapping Between NFSv4 and Posix Draft ACLs
	Author(s)	: M. Eriksen, J. Fields
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-03.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2005-2-22
	
NFS version 4 [rfc3530] (NFSv4) specifies a flavor of Access Control
   Lists (ACLs) resembling Windows NT ACLs.  A number of operating sys-
   tems use a different flavor of ACL based on a withdrawn POSIX draft.
   NFSv4 clients and servers on such operating systems may wish to map
   between NFSv4 ACLs and their native ACLs.  To this end, we describe a
   mapping from POSIX draft ACLs to a subset of NFSv4 ACLs.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:15:51 -0500

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-03.txt

Having noticed a mistake a few minutes after submitting (oops), I'm
keeping an errata list at

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/rfc/draft-ietf-nfsv4-acl-mapping-03-ERRATA.txt

Additions are welcomed....

Changes between this version and the previous version:
	* Updated the mapping of mode bits.
	* Rewrote some of the text in an attempt to make it clearer.
	* Modified recommendations to advise some more leniency in the
	  NFSv4->POSIX translation, partly because I think there are more
	  opportunities to do so safely than previously thought.

--b.