Subject: [nfsv4] NFSv4/Sessions and NFS/RDMA drafts updated

From: "Talpey, Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:31:28 -0500

All four internet-draft updates seem to have hit the repository,
here's a quick summary of the changes FYI.

We'll be making some presentations on the implementation work for
these at the upcoming Connectathon, especially the sessions one.
And of course giving more information on the specs at the IETF WG
meeting in two weeks.

Please send any comments on these drafts to this (IETF NFSv4)
mailing list, thanks!

Tom.

- RDMA Transport for ONC RPC
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-01.txt>

Substantial text changes in this draft thanks to Mallikarjun's comments,
plus some others'. The protocol is the same but the text has been
updated for clarity and in a couple of places, correctness. The line
formatting has changed so the document may not "diff" well, if anyone
wants a changebar version let me know.

- NFS Direct Data Placement
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect-01.txt>

This is the companion document to RPCRDMA defining the NFS binding.
The changes here were minor, updating references and addresses.

- NFS RDMA Problem Statement
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfs-rdma-problem-statement-02.txt>

This was a minor update to mainly bring the references and addresses
up to date. We haven't received many comments on this lately so I
consider the document to be in its more or less final form at this point.

- NFSv4 Session Extensions
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-sess-01.txt>

Some important additions to the protocol were included in this version.
The prior version mentioned but did not define the CB_SEQUENCE op,
also the .x protocol excerpt was corrected in several places. Text was
added mentioning how OPEN_CONFIRM is unnecessary in the presence
of a session, and some semantics of clientid sharing within a session
were clarified.

Most importantly, the security section discusses the importance and
use of authentication within a session to protect per-clientid context,
especially stateid's. Within a session, strong authentication can be used
by servers to protect clients from denial of service attacks without
having to secure client connections with expensive privacy measures.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4