Subject: [nfsv4] ethereal and NFSv4 support.

From: Manish Agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:50:23 -0800

Hi All,

Is anyone using ethereal for NFS4 development work? I would like to
know if it supports the current version of NFS4 (based on nfs4_prot.x
version 1.122).

The comments in the ethereal source (version 0.10.9) mentions that the
support it based on RFC 3010 and nfs4_prot.x 1.103. Does anyone know
if just the comment is old or it really doesn't support the current
version of nfs4_prot.x  which is 1.122.

It would be nice someone can post nfs4_prot.x version 1.103. It will
make the task of verifying support and also adding the missing parts
much easier.

Regards, 
-Manish

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Richard Sharpe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:54:14 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Manish Agarwal wrote:

Bouncing this to the Ethereal-dev list for comment there.

> make the task of verifying support and also adding the missing parts

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe[at]richardsharpe.com, rsharpe[at]samba.org,
sharpe[at]ethereal.com, http://www.richardsharpe.com

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:04:36 -0500

> > know if it supports the current version of NFS4 (based on nfs4_prot.x

At citi we certainly do this every day and I haven't noticed it parsing
NFSv4 incorrectly lately.

> > make the task of verifying support and also adding the missing parts

I don't know of a source for the old nfs4_prot.x's; it might be useful.
I suspect it's the comment that's out of date, though.

--b.

---

From: "William A.(Andy) Adamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:40:42 -0500

> NFSv4 incorrectly lately.

Delegation callbacks (CB_NULL, CB_RECALL, CB_GETATTR) are not parsed. OPEN 
repy's with a granted READ or WRITE delegation are not parsed.

-->Andy

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 12:52:37 -0500

> repy's with a granted READ or WRITE delegation are not parsed.

Yes, it'd be nice if Ethereal handled that stuff.  These are examples of
unimplemented features, though, rather than out-of-date xdr.

--b.

---

From: Manish Agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 11:18:49 -0800

Hi All,

Is the file nfs4_prot.x under some kind of source control to track
delta? Does any one know how to get older versions of this file? I'm
interested in version 1.103.

Thanks and regards,
-Manish

-- 
-Manish

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:33:05 -0600

Attached are the diffs between 1.103 and 1.122.

---

From: Bryce Harrington <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 13:44:29 -0800 (PST)

> repy's with a granted READ or WRITE delegation are not parsed.

I'll add these two items to our test matrix in the Serviceability
section.

I.E.5  Verify sufficient monitoring functionality within Ethereal
       - Parse delegation callbacks (CB_NULL, CB_RECALL, CB_GETATTR)
       - Parse OPEN repy's with a granted READ or WRITE delegation

Thanks,
Bryce

---

From: "Mike Frisch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:11:05 -0500

> Is anyone using ethereal for NFS4 development work? I would 
> like to know if it supports the current version of NFS4 
> (based on nfs4_prot.x version 1.122).

I implemented the NFSv4 support in Ethereal concurrently with the (early)
development of our NFSv4 client.

> The comments in the ethereal source (version 0.10.9) mentions 
> that the support it based on RFC 3010 and nfs4_prot.x 1.103. 
> Does anyone know if just the comment is old or it really 
> doesn't support the current version of nfs4_prot.x  which is 1.122.

It's been a while since I have done any modifications to Ethereal, so it's
possible the comment is accurate.

> It would be nice someone can post nfs4_prot.x version 1.103. 
> It will make the task of verifying support and also adding 
> the missing parts much easier.

Can't help there, sorry.

Mike.

---

From: Manish Agarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:13:04 -0800

Hi All,

I went through the diff file line by line and found that most of the
changes have been incorporated into ethereal. There are 3 things which
were removed in RFC 3530 which are still present in the code. These
don't cause any harm as the removed values have not been used for
anything else. Here they are just incase anyone is interested:

1.  nfsstat4 -> NFS4ERR_NODEV. This errorcode is no longer valid.
2. enum nfs_lock_type4 ->
    RELEASE_STATE   = 5  /* release lock_stateid state at server */ 
3. struct OPEN4resok -> rflags  value  ->
    /* Mandatory locking is in effect for this file. */
    const OPEN4_RESULT_MLOCK        = 0x00000001;

I think its safe to declare that ethereal does support nfs4_prot.x
version 1.122!

Someone mentioned that some requests are not parsed correctly. I
haven't looked at those yet.

-Manish

-- 
-Manish