Subject: [nfsv4] Should owner get special previleges in the presence of acl

From: "Khan, Saadia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:25:45 -0800

If there is an acl on a file/dir, should the owner of that file/dir get
any special previleges by virtue of being the owner? E.g. reading and
writing the acl or reading/writing the file etc.

Currently if a file does not have an acl, I believe owner is always
allowed to set the mode and group as well as read and write a file.

What are other acl implementors doing?

Saadia

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Lisa Week <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:16:09 -0700

> writing the acl or reading/writing the file etc.

For Solaris:

ACE4_READ_ACL and ACE4_READ_ATTRIBUTES must be set on all ALLOW ACEs.

Additionally, if the "who" field is "OWNER@", ACE4_WRITE_ACL and
ACE4_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES must be set on ALLOW ACEs.  Neither
ACE4_WRITE_ACL nor ACE4_WRITE_ATTRIBUTES may be present in an ALLOW ACE
with a "who" field other than "OWNER@".

The other access mask bits that get allowed to the "OWNER@" are 
completely dependent on the mode of the file.

> allowed to set the mode and group as well as read and write a file.

If a file does not have an ACL, we go by what the mode bits tell us.  If 
the mode is 177 (--x rwx rwx) the owner would still not be able to read 
and write the file until the mode is changed.

- Lisa