Subject: RE: [nfsv4] NFS client copying 64bit fileid's to 32bit inodes gen erates "value too large" on "ls" command.

From: "wurzl, mario" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:44:36 -0500

_____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Steven Huntington
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 1:16 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] NFS client copying 64bit fileid's to 32bit inodes generates
"value too large" on "ls" command.

We have an internal disagreement of who is responsible to correct this. Here
are the basic positions.

1) To support global namespace the NFSv4 protocol defines the fileid attr as
64bit, For proper operation, It is the NFSv4 clients responsibility to
generate a 32bit inode or document the restriction and/or error if copying
the NFSv4 fileid to ino. If this can not be done, the suggestion is to run
NFSv3 to obtain 32bit values if needed. 

2) Worry about global name space later. Granting access to the largest
number of clients today is key. The server should only return 32bit values
until the major client platforms support 64bit. 
[Würzl, Mario] This is a client problem, and I don't see why it should be
fixed on the server. 

Seems #2 will prevail here.

Cheers,

Steve Huntington, IBM San Jose

Phone: (408) 256-1948 (T/L 276-1948)
Fax (408) 256-2500
Office: San Jose 50-C398
Internet: [email-masked]
Lotus Notes: Steven Huntington/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Steven Huntington <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:12:20 -0800

So that customers will *BUY* our server?

Cheers,