Subject: [nfsv4] Stringprep Compares

From: Stevan Steve Allen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:17:45 -0800

Our internal I18N rep describes proper string compares using stringprep as

   1. Convert internal strings to UTF-8
   2. Perform stringprep on both the network UTF-8 string and internal
   UTF-8 string
   3. Compare the results

For an NFS lookup, the above process describes convert and stringprep "all"
exported file names to UTF-8 for comparison...

Performing this for each NFS request greatly impacts performance.
Converting and maintaining a cache within NFS introduces problems with file
deletes & renames outside of the NFS scope.

Any comments to the alternate approach of running the network filename
string through stringprep, convert to an internal CCSID, and passing the
filename to the underlying kernel API for lookup comparisons.

Thanks,
Stevan C. Allen

[email-masked]    T/L 276-0352    Alt 408-779-1211
z/NFS Development: 5600 Cottle Rd. San Jose CA. 95193

Before deciding on a design:
      Is the design easy to explain?

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4