Subject: [nfsv4] announce of draft-noveck-nfsv4-migrep-00.txt

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:24:28 -0500

You may have missed this announcement but Dave and Carl have
done an update to their I-D.  The intent is that the next update
of this will become a WG work item/I-D so review appropriately.

Spencer

Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-noveck-nfsv4-migrep-00.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 18:50:01 -0400
List-Id: i-d-announce.ietf.org

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Next Steps for NFSv4 Migration/Replication
	Author(s)	: D. Noveck, R. Burnett
	Filename	: draft-noveck-nfsv4-migrep-00.txt
	Pages		: 38
	Date		: 2005-10-6
	
     The fs_locations attribute in NFSv4 provides support for fs
     migration, replication and referral.  Given the current work on
     supporting these features, and the new needs such as support for
     global namespace, it is time to look at this area and see what
     further development of this protocol area may be required.  This
     document makes suggestions for the further development of these
     features in NFSv4.1 and also presents ideas for work that might be
     done as part of future minor versions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-noveck-nfsv4-migrep-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-noveck-nfsv4-migrep-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-noveck-nfsv4-migrep-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 20:40:04 -0400

Actually this is not an update of the referral document.  That 
already is a working group document.

This document is a new individual draft.  It has some material
that appeared in an earlier individual draft but the majority
of it is new.

As the abstract says, this is an attempt to define where we
might go with the whole protocol area of migration, replication,
referral, including things that might go into v4.1 and some
that definitely aren't going into v4.1.

So let me give people three explanatory paragraphs for the three basic 
sections of the document.

     The first section is based on a lot of material in my earlier 
     individual draft, updated to reflect working group discussion 
     and lots of other review including some based on implementation 
     experience.  It addresses the known ambiguities and inconsistencies
     in RFC3530's handling of the migration/replication area.  This is 
     stuff that definitely makes sense for the v4.1 spec, since that 
     would be an opportunity to correct issues that are bigger and more 
     complicated than make sense for the errata process.

     The second section proposes a number of additional recommended 
     attributes including fs_location_info for which there has been 
     some working group discussion already, a lot of which has been 
     incorporated into this draft.  There is also fs_status which is 
     based on some suggestions that have been made in ensuing discussion.  
     The other proposed attributes are fs_absent, to give a simple test 
     of fs presence or absence, and fh_replacement which allows direct 
     mapping of filehandles from source to destination, without being
     on the client knowing the correct current file names.  These 
     attributes need further discussion but could be considered for 
     v4.1.

     The third section definitely deals with post-4.1 matters.  It is 
     looking at the issue of some sort of server-to-server migration 
     protocol to help support heterogeneous.  Interest in doing this
     has decreased over the years, reaching almost the point of non-
     existence lately.  So one response is simply to give up, but I'm
     wondering whether the problem is not lack of interest in the 
     result, but the high effort what would be involved in defining
     a whole new protocol to do this.  So my suggestion is that nfsv4
     itself, with a small set of extensions, might serve the need 
     equally well, with a much smaller effort, both in terms of 
     specification and implementation.  Anyway this idea is explored
     a bit, although there would be considerable work actually defining
     these extensions, although less than doing an entirely new protocol.
     Clearly this is something that would be in v4.2 at the earliest. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Spencer Shepler [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] announce of draft-noveck-nfsv4-migrep-00.txt

Spencer