Subject: [nfsv4] Minutes from Jan. 26, 2006 Conference Call

From: Lisa Week <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:34:19 -0700

IETF NFSv4 Working Group Conference Call
January 26, 2006
Note: Action items and attendee list at the end of minutes

Agenda:
    - Discuss the table of contents draft and drive to consensus.

Agenda Bashing:
-----------------------
No items to add

Minutes:
------------
- Spencer has posted the proposed table of contents for the Minor 
Version I-D to the WG alias.
See: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg02527.html

- Additional discussion is needed to determine what text from the 
Falkner/Week I-D should be included in the Access Control List section 
of the Minor Version I-D.
See: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-falkner-nfsv4-acls-00.txt

- Question of why CCM wasn't in the table of contents was raised.  Dave 
Noveck responded saying that CCM hasn't specifically been on the list of 
things to be included in the Minor Version I-D, but there is a 
possibility that it should be required.  David Black stated that one 
reason CCM should be considered is because it dovetails nicely with the 
Buttons effort.  David Black also stated that perhaps we should keep CCM 
in a separate draft so it won't hold up the Minor Version I-D.  The 
consensus on the call was that there needs to be further clarification 
on where the WG's interests lie with respect to CCM and NFSv4.1.

- Paul Mazzurana stated that the Minor Version I-D needs to address all 
the areas in the NFSv4.0 specification where lock owner is referenced 
instead of open owner.

- Question on if we have a list of the errata items that we intend to 
incorporate into the Minor Version I-D was raised.  Spencer commented 
that he is working to make sure we have captured everything that has 
been discussed.  Paul commented that the errata should include the 
discussions on what error codes should be returned for different 
situations.

- Question relating to utf8 and stringprep was raised.  Comment on 
whether there are additional languages needed was made.  This issue is 
still open.

- Dave Noveck brought up an issue regarding internationalization and 
symlinks.  With NFSv2/3 symlinks are opaque, but with NFSv4 symlinks are 
utf8strings, therefore, it is thought that a discussion about possible 
issues with the interaction of internationalization and symlinks needs 
to happen.

- Andy Adamson stated that they are working on a new SPKM3 draft and 
mentioned that he wants it referenced by the Minor Version I-D in lieu 
of the other SPKM3 draft.  Spencer commented that it is all a matter of 
timing and questioned whether we should delay the Minor Version I-D in 
the event that there are issues with the new SPKM3 draft.  This issue is 
still open.

- Dave Noveck stated that he noticed that the RECLAIM_COMPLETE operation 
is missing from the table of contents.  The assumption is that this will 
be added when Bruce Fields and Dave Noveck produce the needed documents 
and the issues come to closure.

- Dave Noveck stated that he believes Sessions should be explained 
earlier in the document.  David Black commented that there are still 
open issues around Sessions and pNFS EOF.  Spencer has pinged Tom Talpey 
about his open AI (See: AI008).  Dave Noveck to ping Tom Talpey.

- Benny stated that the new operation for lookup of the parent directory 
in the context of SECINFO is named the same as the existing lookup 
operation in the table of contents.  Spencer will resolve this.

- Spencer intends to let table of contents to sit for a day or two to 
see if there are any other comments on the WG alias.  He will then work 
to pull together a draft of the contents for the Minor Version I-D.

- The goal is to get final WG approval on the Minor Version I-D sometime 
this summer.

- Spencer reminded everyone that the rough consensus is that we won't 
let the Minor Version I-D go forward until we have implementation 
experience behind all of the new pieces.  Please keep this and the 
schedule for the Minor Version I-D in mind when doing project planning.

Action Items:
------------------

AI001: Spencer to complete dot-x with 4.1 operations and post for review

AI002: Spencer to follow up with David Robinson on the current stateid
proposal to close discussion.

AI005: Saadia Kahn to work with Spencer on the directory delegations 
section of the NFS4.1 I-D to close on structure and issues

AI006: Dave Noveck to work with Spencer on directory delegation issues: 
see AI005

AI008: Tom Talpey to post about end-of-file pNFS issue and relation to 
sessions

AI009: WG to make sure we come to closure on the pNFS reclaim bit and 
Spencer to reflect the decision in the NFS4.1 I-D

AI010: Spencer to make clarification in the NFS4.1 I-D about the 
assertion that directory delegations should not be dependent on sessions.

AI011: Spencer to forward Brian Wickman(?) and Bruce Field's questions 
regarding directory delegations/notifications to working group.

AI012: Dave Noveck to review his Sept. 9th email and send an update in 
light of January 12th's discussion.

AI014: Arun swaron Jagathee to raise question about read-only replica's 
effects on directory delegations to NFSv4 WG alias.

AI015: Spencer to add Implementation IDs to the minor version I-D.

AI016: Mike Eisler to send Spencer Implementation ID text for the minor 
version draft.  See: AI015

AI018: Dave Noveck to do a write-up clarifying the different corner 
cases being remedied by the introduction of the RECLAIM_COMPLETE 
operation.  First the text will be sent to Bruce, if they reach 
consensus, the text will be sent to the WG.

AI019: Dave Noveck to draft a proposal for adding a new attribute 
stating whether or not the server supports RECLAIM_COMPLETE.  First the 
text will be sent to Bruce, if they reach consensus, the text will be 
sent to the WG.

AI020: Dave Noveck to send a write-up to the WG about the outstanding 
issue regarding CB_RECALL_ANY and servers that may have different 
classes of storage.

AI022: Spencer to follow up with WG to see where interests in CCM lie 
with respect to Minor Version I-D.

AI023: Spencer to talk to Nico Williams to see if there is any ground 
work that needs to be laid in NFSv4.1 for channel bindings.

AI024: WG to send email to Spencer if there is something that you feel 
really needs to be addressed in the errata to be included in the Minor 
Version I-D.

AI025: Spencer to follow up with WG on utf8 and stringprep issues.

AI026: Dave Noveck to remind Tom Talpey of his AI.  See: AI008

AI027: Spencer to resolve the issue of the new operation for lookup of 
the parent directory in the context of SECINFO being named the same as 
the existing lookup operation in the table of contents draft.

AI028: Spencer to research the group's options with regard to document 
and issue management related to this effort.

AI029: Spencer to create a draft of the contents for the Minor Version 
I-D.  This will be done once the table of contents draft has sat for a 
few days in order to address any questions or comments that come from 
the WG.

Attendees:
---------------

Spencer Shepler - Sun Microsystems
Tom Haynes - Sun Microsystems
Tom Vanderputten - EMC
Mario Wurzl - EMC
Steve Fridella - EMC
Garth Goodson - NetApp
Serge - Hummingbird
Jeff Smith - Sun Microsystems
Brian McCorkell - IBM
Bill Brown - IBM
Benny Halevy - Panasas
Paul Mazzurana - IBM
Dave Noveck - NetApp
Dave Sheffield
Lisa Week - Sun Microsystems
Brent Welch - Panasas
Carl Burnett - IBM
David Black - EMC
Todd Pisek - Sun Microsystems
Andy Adamson - CITI
Bruce Fields - CITI

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4