Subject: [nfsv4] Directory delegations

From: "david m. richter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:20:03 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

	I was reading through the new minor version draft and have a
question about the proposed directory delegations (section 14.11).

	I'm curious about the cookie verifier that the server returns to
the client when a delegation is granted.  How is it intended to be used?
As something to help the client cache the delegation information itself?
Perhaps it ties into notifications in a way I'm missing.

	Relatedly, I'm curious as to whether an additional argument should
be sent along in the delegation request -- perhaps the directory's change
attribute?  A client could conceivably request a delegation on a directory
for which it has stale data in its name cache, e.g.

	Or, instead, is one to assume that a dir delegation request will
only ever immediately follow a READDIR and that the race between the end
of the READDIR and the granting of the delegation is negligible?

	thanks,

	david.
_____
 david m. richter
 http://www.citi.umich.edu

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:03:39 -0500

> Perhaps it ties into notifications in a way I'm missing.

By the way, I'm also curious--who else out there is working on directory
delegations?  Is anyone else trying to implement any version of it, for
example?--b.