Subject: [nfsv4] Minutes from conference call of Jan 05, 2006

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 19:42:55 -0600

IETF NFSv4 Working Group Conference Call
January 5, 2006
NOTE: action items and attendee list at end of minutes

Agenda:
-------

- When and how long to have the conference calls
- What documents are under review during conference call?
- Goals and timeline for documents
- What issues to people have with current minor version I-D
- What things have we missed (already proposed and should be added)?
- Rewrite of the delegations section needed 
- First draft of the .x file
- pNFS issues
- EOF issue (David Black)
- Reclaim bit (David Black)

Minutes:
-------

- Quickly reviewed that these conference calls fall under the regular
IETF rules for contributions

- Set the meeting times to 3pm ET, 2pm CT, 1pm MT, Noon PT every
Thursday for a duration of 1 hour

- Weekly conference calls will be held until March 2nd (week before
I-D cutoff for Dallas IETF meeting)

- Conference calls will be used to review/discuss issues related to
the NFSv4.1 I-D.  The pNFS I-Ds related to objects and blocks will
be discussed in the context of overlapping issues with the NFS4.1 I-D.

- Goal for the NFSv4.1 I-D is to have a document ready for working
group last call by the Dallas IETF; this is a stretch but need to
push to complete as much as possible.  There was the question of
matching implementation experience and that needs to be considered
when setting future dates/goals.

- Spencer covered the current state of the NFS4.1 I-D; rough state -
collection of individual I-Ds with the directory delegations section
needing the most work at this point.  A "dot x" file is missing and
will be formed as one of the first work items.  Likely to distribute
the "dot x" separately from the document in the near future to keep
the text size of the NFS4.1 I-D smaller.

- What things have been forgotten?
- implementation id proposal from Mike Eisler
- Current stateid mechanism from David Robinson
- Method of shortening grace period when all clients have recovered
from Dave Noveck
- Byte range delegations from Trond Myklebust

- There is a general AI to review what has been posted to the WG alias
to ensure we have covered prior discussions.  The general feeling of
those present was that the implementation id, current stateid, and
client recovery (with clarifying discussions) would be included.
The byte range delegations proposal seemed not to be ready for
NFS4.1

- Dave Noveck asked if the replication/migration and ACL clarifying
documents would be included directly in the 4.1 I-D.  From this, the
discussion moved into what form the NFS4.1 document should
take. e.g. Just the changes to RFC3530, all of 4.0 and 4.1, or just
4.1.  The consensus seemd to be that a document that contained all
of what was needed for 4.1 (all operations - not just the new) was
disireable.  If possible, a section of the document should call out
the differences from the 4.0 specification.

Spencer took an action item from this discussion to draft a table of
contents for 4.1 to provide a scope or general structure for the
document before moving directly to that structure.

- Last set of discussions related to the pNFS issues raised by David
Black for End-of-file handling in the presence of sessions and the
reclamation of layouts.  Steve Fridella to summarize issues to WG
and work to close discussion.

Action Items:
-----------

AI001: Spencer to complete dot-x with 4.1 operations and post for review

AI002: Spencer to followup with David Robinson on the current stateid
proposal to close discussion.

AI003: Spencer to complete draft table of contents for NFS4.1 I-D in
the context of making it a "complete" document

AI004: Steve Fridella to summarize the reclaim bit discussion and send
WG email to decide upon approach

AI005: Saadia Kahn to work with Spencer on the directory delegations
section of the NFS4.1 I-D to close on structure and issues

AI006: Dave Noveck to work with Spencer on directory delegation
issues: see AI005

AI007: Dave Noveck to post summary of proposal to shorten grace period

AI008: Tom Talpey to post about end-of-file pNFS issue and relation to
sessions

Attendees:
--------
Dave Noveck - NetApp
Dan Trufasiu- Hummingbird
Garth Goodson- NetApp
Mike Eisler - NetApp
Saadia Kahn - NetApp
Lisa Week - Sun
Spencer Shepler - Sun Microsystems
David Black - EMC
Benny Halevy - Panasas
Carl Burnett - IBM
Dave Sheffield - IBM
Paul Mazzurana - IBM
Brent Welch - EMC
Tom Talpey - NetApp
Tom Vanderputten - EMC
Garth Gibson - Panasas
Steve Fridella - EMC

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4