Subject: [nfsv4] minutes from Jan 12, 2006 conference call

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:28:47 -0600

IETF NFSv4 Working Group Conference Call
January 12, 2006
NOTE: action items and attendee list at end of minutes

Agenda:
-------

- Review of action items
- Directory delegations based on Dave Novecks WG email from Sep 9th
see: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg02112.html

Minutes:
-------

- Review of Noveck's email on state of directory delegations

- A Adamson asked about if implementing 4.1 meant that all features
  needed to be implemented.  No but there may be dependencies between
  feature sets

- Benny asked about feature discovery by the client.  Currently a
  feature does not exist; client must rely on probing the server with
  the various operations to determine feature availability.

- Moved to a discussion of what the intent of use is for the "notifications"
  feature included in the directory delegations section.  Is it to
  allow for application notification or NFS client notification.
  Concensus seemed to be that the feature would be available to the
  NFS client; designing for application notification was a broader
  design context than currently desired.  As a result, it would be
  helpful/needed to have clear motivation for the notification
  framework; how would the NFS client make effective use of
  notifications?

- Noveck again raised the issue of the relation between directory
  delegations and notifications in the context of very large
  directories.  Are they separate features and can they be implemented
  independently?  Noveck to review his Sept email and carry the
  discussion forward.

- Question of current directory delegation prototypes was raised.
  CITI is working read directory delegations and should have something
  available in prototype form for Connectathon.  Solaris prototype
  being scheduled but not in time for Connectathon.

Action Items:
-----------

AI001: Spencer to complete dot-x with 4.1 operations and post for review

AI002: Spencer to followup with David Robinson on the current stateid
proposal to close discussion.

AI003: Spencer to complete draft table of contents for NFS4.1 I-D in
the context of making it a "complete" document

AI005: Saadia Kahn to work with Spencer on the directory delegations
section of the NFS4.1 I-D to close on structure and issues

AI006: Dave Noveck to work with Spencer on directory delegation
issues: see AI005

AI008: Tom Talpey to post about end-of-file pNFS issue and relation to
sessions

AI009: WG to make sure we come to closure on the pNFS reclaim bit and 
Spencer to reflect the decision in the NFS4.1 I-D

AI010: Spencer to make clarification in the NFS4.1 I-D about the 
assertion that directory delegations should not be dependent on sessions.

AI011: Spencer to forward Brian Wickman(?) and Bruce Field's questions 
regarding directory delegations/notifications to working group.

AI012: Dave Noveck to review his Sept. 9th email and send an update in 
light of today's discussion.

AI013: Andy Adamson to capture his ideas regarding global namespace in a 
couple of paragraphs and send out to NFSv4 WG alias.

AI014: Arun swaron Jagathee to raise question about read-only replica's 
effects on directory delegations to NFSv4 WG alias.

Attendees:
--------
Benny Halevy - Panasas
Lisa Week - Sun
Spencer Shepler - Sun
Steve Fridella - EMC
Mario Wurzl - EMC
Dave Noveck - NetApp
Andy Adamson - CITI
Bruce Fields - CITI
Tom Vanderputten
Paul Mazzurana - IBM
Brent Welch - Panasas
Garth Goodson - NetApp
Brian McCorkell (sp?) - IBM
Bill Brown - IBM
Arun swaron Jagathee - SDSC

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4