Subject: [nfsv4] FW: I-D ACTION:draft-everhart-nfsv4-namespace-via-dns-srv-00.txt

From: "Everhart, Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 12:14:54 -0500

There's been discussion off and on on this list about rooting different
organizations' file system name spaces in resources located via the DNS.
This I-D attempts to provide a common understanding of how to do such
things.

We will likely ask for a slot to discuss this in the NFSv4 WG meeting in
Dallas.

		Craig

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Friday, February 24, 2006 3:50 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-everhart-nfsv4-namespace-via-dns-srv-00.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Using DNS SRV to Specify a Global File Name
Space with NFS version 4

	Author(s)	: C. Everhart, et al.
	Filename	:
draft-everhart-nfsv4-namespace-via-dns-srv-00.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 2006-2-24
	
The NFS version 4 protocol provides a natural way for a collection of
NFS file servers to collaborate in providing an organization-wide file
name space.  The DNS SRV RR allows a simple and appropriate way for an
organization to publish the root of its name space, even to clients that
might not be intimately associated with such an organization.  DNS SRV
can be used to join these organization-wide file name spaces together to
allow construction of a global, uniform NFS version 4 file name space.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-everhart-nfsv4-namespace-via-d
ns-srv-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-everhart-nfsv4-namespace-via-dns-srv-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html or
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE
/internet-drafts/draft-everhart-nfsv4-namespace-via-dns-srv-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4