Subject: [nfsv4] Minutes from Feb. 23, 2006 Conference Call

From: Lisa Week <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:58:37 -0700

IETF NFSv4 Working Group Conference Call
February 23, 2006
Note: Action items and attendee list is at the end of the minutes.

Agenda:
-------
         - pNFS reclaim proposal by Benny
         - current stateid proposal by D. Robinson
         - Directory Delegations

Agenda additions:
-----------------
         - Sessions, pNFS races and pNFS EOF handling

Minutes:
--------

- Reminder: I-D deadline is Monday, March 6.  This concall is the last
one before the IETF meeting in March.

- There will be two NFSv4 WG meetings at IETF in Dallas.  These
will be on Wednesday and Thursday.  Any discussion happening between the
meetings will be reviewed at the Thursday meeting.  All
proceedings and discussions will be reviewed via the NFSv4 WG alias.

- Benny has posted proposed text to the WG regarding the addition of a 
reclaim field to LAYOUTRETURN.
See: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg02667.html
All issues have been resolved.  Benny to send final text directly to 
Spencer.

- David Robinson has posted a summary of the status of the current 
stateid proposal to the WG alias.
See: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg02651.html
There were no comments and no dissent from the individuals on the 
concall.  This will be summarized on the WG alias for potential 
inclusion in the NFSv4.1 draft.

- Spencer has posted questions and suggestions about the current 
directory delegations proposal to the WG alias.
See: http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg02673.html
A discussion of the suggestions happened on the concall.  This 
discussion will be summarized on the WG alias.

- Steve Fridella and David Black reviewed the text regarding the 
Sessions based solution to callback races sent out by Tom Talpey.  David 
mentioned that they need additional information from Tom specifically 
regarding section 7.5.3 of the NFSv4.1 draft.  See: AI039.

- Issues regarding pNFS EOF handling were brought up.  David Black 
commented that this is complex for the block world.  David mentioned 
that text needs to be added to explain the case where a pNFS client has 
a write to a layout outstanding and some other NFS client issues a 
SETATTR which lands in the middle of where the pNFS client thinks it is 
writing.  David Black and Steve Fridella to write up text stating that 
the server has to make sure that clients that had a layout understand 
the new EOF before replying to the SETATTR that modified the EOF.

Action Items:
------------------
AI001: Spencer to complete dot-x with 4.1 operations and post for review
Commitment date: Monday, Feb. 20

AI010: Spencer to make clarification in the NFS4.1 I-D about the
assertion that directory delegations should be dependent on sessions.
Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI015: Spencer to add Implementation IDs to the minor version I-D.
Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI023: Spencer to talk to Nico Williams to see if there is any ground
work that needs to be laid in NFSv4.1 for channel bindings.
Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 20

AI025: Spencer to follow up with WG on utf8 and stringprep issues.
Included in this needs to be a discussion on the possible issues with
the interaction of internationalization and symlinks.
Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 27

AI027: Spencer to resolve the issue of the new operation for lookup of
the parent directory in the context of SECINFO being named the same as
the existing lookup operation in the table of contents draft.
Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI030: Tom Talpey and Dave Noveck to work on text clarifying the
interactions between the reclaim-related operations and Sessions.
Commitment Date: Wednesday, Feb. 22

AI035: Dave Noveck to send email to WG discussing which parts of the
existing migration and referral documents should be integrated into
NFSv4.1.
Commitment Date: Wednesday, Feb.15

[DONE] AI037: Benny Halevy to send proposal for the addition of a 
reclaim bit to the pNFS LAYOUTRETURN operation.

AI038: David Black and Steve Fridella to assess whether the Sessions
based solution to callback races provided by Tom Talpey is sufficient to
solve the pNFS EOF issues.

AI039: Tom Talpey to look into the sections of the NFSv4.1 I-D where
Sessions text regarding the solution to callback races would be
appropriate (e.g. - in Section 7.5.3 of the NFSv4.1 I-D which describes
the pNFS race conditions).

[DONE] AI040: Benny Halevy to take a look at the existing LAYOUTGET 
proposal and assess whether it needs to be modified to handle layouts 
with overlapping byte ranges.

AI041: (From WG alias) Trond to send summary of discussion that occurred 
on the pNFS developer list about when and when not to do LAYOUTCOMMIT to 
WG alias.

AI042: Benny Halevy to send final text for pNFS LAYOUTRETURN reclaim bit 
proposal to Spencer.

AI043: Spencer to send summary of the group's position on David 
Robinson's current stateid proposal on the WG alias for potential 
inclusion in the NFSv4.1 draft.

AI044: (From WG alias) Spencer to send proposed changes to the directory 
delegations proposal per 
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg02675.html

AI045: David Black and Steve Fridella to write up text stating that the 
server has to make sure that clients that had a layout understand the 
new EOF before replying to the SETATTR that modified the EOF.

Attendees:
----------
Spencer Shepler - Sun Microsystems
Lisa Week - Sun Microsystems
Sam Falkner - Sun Microsystems
Tom Haynes - Sun Microsystems
Mike Eisler - Sun Microsystems
Todd Pisek - Sun Microsystems
Benny Halevy - Panasas
Garth Goodson - NetApp
Steve Fridella - EMC
David Black - EMC
Saadia Khan - NetApp
Tom Talpey - NetApp

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4