Subject: [nfsv4] Minutes from Feb. 9, 2006 Conference Call

From: Lisa Week <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:57:41 -0700

IETF NFSv4 Working Group Conference Call
February 9, 2006
Note: Complete list of open action items and attendee list is at the end 
of the minutes.

Agenda:
------------
     Review action items

Minutes:
-------------

The following action items were reviewed.  The status of the AI and any 
discussion that happened around it is documented after each item.

AI001: Spencer to complete dot-x with 4.1 operations and post for review
    Open.  Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 20

AI002: Spencer to follow up with David Robinson on the current stateid
proposal to close discussion.
    Open.  Spencer will follow up with David and send the conclusion to 
the WG alias.
    Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 13

AI005: Saadia Khan to work with Spencer on the directory delegations
section of the NFS4.1 I-D to close on structure and issues
    Closed in lieu of more specific AIs as they arise.

AI006: Dave Noveck to work with Spencer on directory delegation issues:
see AI005
    Closed in lieu of more specific AIs as they arise.

AI008: Tom Talpey to post about end-of-file pNFS issue and relation to
sessions
    Open.  Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 13

AI009: WG to make sure we come to closure on the pNFS reclaim bit and
Spencer to reflect the decision in the NFS4.1 I-D
    Closed.

AI010: Spencer to make clarification in the NFS4.1 I-D about the
assertion that directory delegations should not be dependent on sessions.
    Open.  The WG came to an alternate conclusion (directory delegations
    are dependent sessions) and this will be reflected in the Minor 
Version I-D.
    Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI011: Spencer to forward Brian Wickman(?) and Bruce Field's questions
regarding directory delegations/notifications to working group.
    Closed.

AI012: Dave Noveck to review his Sept. 9th email and send an update in
light of January 12th's discussion.
    Closed.

AI014: Arun swaron Jagathee to raise question about read-only replica's
effects on directory delegations to NFSv4 WG alias.
    Close for now.  Spencer to send Arun mail to see if he wants to 
follow-up.

AI015: Spencer to add Implementation IDs to the minor version I-D.
    Open. Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI016: Mike Eisler to send Spencer Implementation ID text for the minor
version draft.  See: AI015
    Closed.  Spencer has is sufficient information.

AI020: Dave Noveck to send a write-up to the WG about the outstanding
issue regarding CB_RECALL_ANY and servers that may have different
classes of storage.
    Open.  Commitment Date: Wednesday, Feb. 15

AI022: Spencer to follow up with WG to see where interests in CCM lie
with respect to Minor Version I-D.
    Open.  Individuals on the concall were polled and yes, there is 
still an interest
    in CCM.  Question on whether CCM should be a required/mandatory to
    implement or optional mechanism was raised.  AI ownership will be 
changed
    to Mike Eisler.
    Commitment Date: Not set

AI023: Spencer to talk to Nico Williams to see if there is any ground
work that needs to be laid in NFSv4.1 for channel bindings.
    Open.  Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 20

AI024: WG to send email to Spencer if there is something that you feel
really needs to be addressed in the errata to be included in the Minor
Version I-D.
     Closed.

AI025: Spencer to follow up with WG on utf8 and stringprep issues.
    Open.  Lisa to add SYMLINK encoding information to this AI.
    Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 27

AI027: Spencer to resolve the issue of the new operation for lookup of
the parent directory in the context of SECINFO being named the same as
the existing lookup operation in the table of contents draft.
    Open.  Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI028: Spencer to research the group's options with regard to document
and issue management related to this effort.
     Closed.

AI029: Spencer to create a draft of the contents for the Minor Version
I-D.  This will be done once the table of contents draft has sat for a
few days in order to address any questions or comments that come from
the WG.
     Closed.

AI030: Tom Talpey and Dave Noveck to work on text clarifying the
interactions between the reclaim-related operations and Sessions.
    Open.  Commitment Date: Wednesday, Feb. 22

AI031: Paul Mazzurana to post questions to the WG alias regarding the
reclaim-related operations proposal.
     Closed.

AI032: Andy Adamson to post questions to the WG alias regarding section
8.14.1 of RFC 3530 and the issue of state migration.
     Closed.

AI033: Steve Fridella to post write-up to the WG alias regarding the
scenarios that would cause a client to have to replay writes.
    Closed.   Conclusion was that supporting reclaim in LAYOUTCOMMIT
    is mandatory.
    Steve will write up final text and post to WG.

AI034: Mike Eisler to track the suggestion of deprecating NFS4ERR_MOVED 
in NFSv4.0 and replacing it with NFS4ERR_MOVED_DATA and 
NFS4ERR_MOVED_DATA_AND_STATE in NFSv4.1.  See: 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg02568.html
    Open.  Commitment Date: Not set

Additional issues:

- Which parts of the existing migration and referral documents should be 
integrated into NFSv4.1?  Dave Noveck will send email to WG.

- Issue, which has been being discussed on the pNFS implementers list, 
regarding when exactly to do a LAYOUTCOMMIT vs. COMMIT needs to be 
driven to closure.  Brent Welch will track this issue to make sure we 
have the rules laid out in order to put the information into the doc.

Attendees:
----------------
Lisa Week - Sun Microsystems
Todd Piseck - Sun Microsystems
Paul Mazzurana - IBM
Mario  Wurzl - EMC
Mike Eisler - NetApp
Benny Halevy - Panasas
Garth Goodson - NetApp
David Sheffield - IBM
Steve Fridella - EMC
Spencer Shepler - Sun Microsystems
Bruce Fields - CITI
Andy Adamson - CITI
Trond Myklebust - CITI
Tom Vanderputten - EMC
Sam Falkner - Sun Microsystems
Tom Haynes - Sun Microsystems
Saadia Khan - NetApp
Brent Welch - Panasas
David Black - EMC
Tom Talpey - NetApp

Action Items:
------------------
AI001: Spencer to complete dot-x with 4.1 operations and post for review
Commitment date: Monday, Feb. 20

AI002: Spencer to follow up with David Robinson on the current stateid
proposal to close discussion.
Commitment date: Monday, Feb. 13

AI008: Tom Talpey to post about end-of-file pNFS issue and relation to
sessions
Commitment date: Monday, Feb. 13

AI010: Spencer to make clarification in the NFS4.1 I-D about the
assertion that directory delegations should not be dependent on sessions.
Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI015: Spencer to add Implementation IDs to the minor version I-D.
Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI020: Dave Noveck to send a write-up to the WG about the outstanding
issue regarding CB_RECALL_ANY and servers that may have different
classes of storage.
Commitment Date: Wednesday, Feb. 15

AI022: Mike Eisler to follow up with WG to see where interests in CCM lie
with respect to Minor Version I-D.
Commitment Date: Not set

AI023: Spencer to talk to Nico Williams to see if there is any ground
work that needs to be laid in NFSv4.1 for channel bindings.
Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 20

AI025: Spencer to follow up with WG on utf8 and stringprep issues.  
Included in this needs to be a discussion on the possible issues with 
the interaction of internationalization and symlinks.
Commitment Date: Monday, Feb. 27

AI027: Spencer to resolve the issue of the new operation for lookup of
the parent directory in the context of SECINFO being named the same as
the existing lookup operation in the table of contents draft.
Commitment Date: Monday, March 6

AI030: Tom Talpey and Dave Noveck to work on text clarifying the
interactions between the reclaim-related operations and Sessions.
Commitment Date: Wednesday, Feb. 22

AI034: Mike Eisler to track the suggestion of deprecating NFS4ERR_MOVED 
in NFSv4.0 and replacing it with NFS4ERR_MOVED_DATA and 
NFS4ERR_MOVED_DATA_AND_STATE in NFSv4.1.  See: 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nfsv4/current/msg02568.html
Commitment Date: Not set

AI035: Dave Noveck to send email to WG discussing which parts of the 
existing migration and referral documents should be integrated into NFSv4.1.
Commitment Date: Wednesday, Feb.15

AI036: Brent Welch to track the issue that has been talked about on the 
pNFS implementers list about when to do a LAYOUTCOMMIT.
Commitment Date: Not set

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4