Subject: [nfsv4] CCM and NFSv4.1

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 12:43:23 -0800 (PST)

CCM, the channel conjunction mechanism, is a proposed mechanism for enabling
applications, such as NFS, to leverage IPsec integrity and privacy instead of
using RPCSEC_GSS for per-operation authentication, integrity, and privacy.
The theory is that there will someday be ubiquitous in-line offload engines that
accelerate IPsec to network media or near network media speeds, whereas we don't
believe there will be RPCSEC_GSS offload engines.

The issue for the WG is whether NFSv4.1 should list CCM as:

- OPTIONAL to implement
- RECOMMENDED to implement
- MANDATORY to implement
- no mention at all

Given the current state of IPsec offload engines, I propose that CCM be listed an OPTIONAL to
implement. We could also make no mention at all of CCM in the NFSv4.1 specification, but
either way, there will be minimum burden on implementers.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:30:02 -0500

> either way, there will be minimum burden on implementers.

Do we have an actively maintained rfc that describes the CCM mechanism?
If not, then should we mention it at all?

Cheers,
  Trond

---

From: Nicolas Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:19:56 -0600

> If not, then should we mention it at all?

Exactly :)

NFSv4.1 can mention it, but its publication will block on CCM.

CCM, meanwhile, may depend on other I-Ds that are languishing (yes, some
of that is my fault).

OTOH, you can rip out any mention of CCM before going to proposed
standard...

Nico
--

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:07:05 -0800 (PST)

> Do we have an actively maintained rfc that describes the CCM mechanism?

There is no published RFC.

As for an actively maintained internet draft, the CCM i-d has expired but
that can be easily remedied if there is WG interest.