Subject: RE: [nfsv4] Open while client has a Delegation

From: Peter Varga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:19:44 -0500

It is required to recall the delegation because in section 9.4.4 it says 

The following events necessitate recall of an open delegation:
o  REMOVE request for the file

Since "the file" is the same regardless of which hard link is used, the
delegation must be recalled.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Bruce Fields [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 2:10 PM
To: Peter Varga
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]; 'Trond Myklebust'
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Open while client has a Delegation

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 01:19:50PM -0500, Peter Varga wrote:
> Actually Windows has fileids as well on NTFS. It's not a problem at all to
> deal with filehandles, I just wanted to clear that up.
> 
> So given that a delegation is for all hard links of a file, and a client
> knows which files are hard-links, it does not need to send OPEN for the
> hard-links either.

Actually I'd assumed that the only link that the delegation convers is
the one that was originally opened under.

So if /foo and /bar are hardlinks to the same file, and you do an

	OPEN("/foo")

and get a delegation, and then someone else does

	REMOVE("/bar")

then the server is not required to recall the delegation.

--b.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:39:59 -0500

> delegation must be recalled.

Yeah, on second thoughts, I agree.  And Trond points out that the
delegation is meant to cover cached attributes (including nlink) as
well, and is otherwise independent of the paths operations are performed
on.

I think either 4.1 text (or 4.0 errata) could clarify this a bit; e.g.
"REMOVE request for any directory entry referencing the file" might be
less ambiguous than "REMOVE request for the file".

--b.