Subject: [nfsv4] Minutes from May 16, 2006 Conference Call

From: Lisa Week <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 09:33:53 -0600

IETF NFSv4 Working Group Conference Call
May 16, 2006
Note: Action items will be added to the issue tracker 
(http://www.nfsv4-editor.org/cgi-bin/roundup/nfsv4).  Attendee list is 
at the end of the minutes.

Agenda:
-------
Status or updates for our major additions for 4.1
    - Sessions
    - Directory Delegations
    - pNFS

A quick update on implementation progress on these (sessions is 
obviously the furthest along) and any new issues that have arisen.

Anyone have outstanding issues (in the tracker or not) that they'd like 
to discuss.

Agenda Additions:
----------------
None

Minutes:
-------

* pNFS Implementation Updates:
CITI - client work ongoing, working layout drivers for files, blocks 
(with EMC) and pvfs2
Working on i/o path.  No callbacks yet.  Adding support for 
GETDEVICELIST, etc. operations.  Implementing prototype interfaces to 
pass stateids from MDS to DS

Solaris/Sun - Todd Pisek mentioned that they are working on object-based 
client and server.  They are in the stages where they are updating the 
interface definitions.  They are concerned about not having any others 
to talk to.  There is also work going on files-based client and server 
prototypes.

NetApp - Server  implementation is interoperating with the current Linux 
client.
It is thought that they will working on integrating Sessions into the 
pNFS functionality.

Sam Falkner asked whether there has been any discusson on adding an EOF 
marker to the GETDEVICELIST results in order to let the client know when 
it is done.  Sam will file an issue for this.

* Sessions Implementation Updates:
Linux Sessions implementation exists which is based on 2.6.9.  The 
client will be coded so that they can turn Sessions support on/off.

NetApp have Sessions implemented for their server and are considering 
tying the implementation into the pNFS functionality.
Tom Talpey mentioned that both sessions implementations are based on the 
old version of the spec.

* Directory Delegation Implementation Updates:
CITI has both client and server implementations based on the 2.6.17 
kernel.  The current implementation was said to be more than a 
prototype, but not quite ready for the mainline kernel.

Other:
The question of what the status on the draft updates was asked.  Lisa is 
to harass Spencer about updating the draft.

The group proposed an agenda item for the next meeting: Discussion on 
what the remaining issues are for directory delegations.

Attendees:
---------
Sam Falkner - Sun Microsystems
Lisa Week - Sun Microsystems
Tom Vanderputten - EMC
Paul Mazzurana - IBM
Saadia Kahn - NetApp
Sergey - Hummingbird
David Sheffield - IBM
Steve Fridella - EMC
Dave Noveck - NetApp
Garth Goodson - NetApp
Todd Piseck - Sun Microsystems
Mark Eshel - IBM
Andy Adamson - CITI
David - CITI
Bruce Fields - CITI
David Black - EMC
Tom Talpey - NetApp

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4