Subject: [nfsv4] directory delegations and return values

From: "david m. richter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 13:17:36 -0400 (EDT)

Though this has come up a couple of different ways before, I want
to make sure my understanding is sound: during the conference call today
it sounded like the consensus for GET_DIR_DELEGATION is that the server
will return NFS_OK in non-error conditions when not granting a delegation.

	In order to return the status to the client as to what happened,
shall we then add a "status" variable to the results struct?  I got the
impression that folks wanted the directory delegation status to mirror
that of file delegations (it's only sensible).

	Should dir deleg values sort of mimic "open_delegation_type4" and
"why_no_delegation4" in
http://www.nfsv4-editor.org/cgi-bin/roundup/nfsv4/file8/deleg-changes.txt,
I wonder if perhaps something like a "dir_delegation_type4" enum would
suffice, maybe with values (which've been brought up on the list
previously) for

 - none (no explanation)
 - read (i.e., granted)
 - unavailable (won't grant -- at all?)
 - denied (due to policy)
 - resource exhaustion
 - perhaps contention
 - ..?

	Thoughts?

	cheers,

	d
	.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4