Subject: [nfsv4] Sessions: Need reserved slotid values

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:50:04 -0400

I'm starting to work through the issues around applying
sessions to potential pNFS races (19) and have run into
a couple of problems with CB_SEQUENCE:

(1) The referring slotid and sequenceid are supposed to
	be optional (cf. section 9.5.3), but the text doesn't
	say how to determine whether they're present vs. absent.

(2) For pNFS, there could be multiple conflicting operations
	that have to be referred to, but CB_SEQUENCE can only
	carry one slotid/sequence reference.

I think this can be fixed with a couple of reserved slotid
values, SLOTID4_NONE, and SLOTID4_MULTIPLE - which could
be 0xffffffff and 0xfffffffe .  pNFS does need to distinguish
MULTIPLE from NONE, as NONE is the only case in which a client
can immediately process a recall.

I'll open this up in the issue tracker as well - I think this
is Tom's to resolve.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Talpey, Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 15:05:06 -0400

I definitely agree on the need for a "none" indicator in the
dependent-op reference. I'll provide text.

Can you walk me through the need for "multiple"? I am not
readily seeing how a delegation or layout recall can depend
on more than one client request. Maybe I am just being dense.

Tom.