Subject: [nfsv4] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network File System Version 4 Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RDMA Transport for ONC RPC
	Author(s)	: B. Callaghan, T. Talpey
	Filename	: draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-03.txt
	Pages		: 33
	Date		: 2006-6-23
	
A protocol is described providing RDMA as a new transport for ONC
RPC.  The RDMA transport binding conveys the benefits of efficient,
bulk data transport over high speed networks, while providing for
minimal change to RPC applications and with no required revision of
the application RPC protocol, or the RPC protocol itself.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Talpey, Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:23:25 -0400

FYI, the NFS/RDMA drafts have been updated in advance of the
upcoming Montreal meeting, as mentioned in the conference call
recently. The two protocol documents are below, and the informational
Problem Statement appeared yesterday.

The intention is to discuss moving them to Working Group last call
at the Montreal meeting. The documents have been out for some
time and all comments to date are reflected in the current versions.

These most recent versions have updated IANA sections, where
discussion of RPC netid allocation and port number reuse has been
added. Also, a number of references and nits have been fixed.

The extremely useful IETF I-D tools can be used to quickly see the
changes in the documents. I highly recommend checking out
	<http://tools.ietf.org/wg/nfsv4/>
where you can see all the NFSv4 WG docs in fact.

Comments to the list, and/or the Montreal meeting.

Tom.

At 03:50 PM 6/23/2006, [email-masked] wrote:
>	Title		: NFS Direct Data Placement
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect-03.txt
>	Pages		: 10
>	Date		: 2006-6-23
>	
>The RDMA transport for ONC RPC provides direct data placement for NFS
>data.  Direct data placement not only reduces the amount of data that
>needs to be copied in an NFS call, but allows much of the data
>movement over the network to be implemented in RDMA hardware. This
>draft describes the use of direct data placement by means of server-
>initiated RDMA operations into client-supplied buffers in a Chunk
>list for implementations of NFS versions 2, 3, and 4 over an RDMA
>transport.
>
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect-03.txt