Subject: [nfsv4] Issue94: some data servers can be meta data servers

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 17:18:58 -0700 (PDT)

If a data server is also a metadata server,
can the same clientid be used? Can the same sessionid
be used?

Here is my opinion.

The clientid is always created on the MDS. Once created,
the clientid can be used to create a session to the MDS,
and sessions to each of the MDS's DSes. (The MDS must
somehow communicate the clientid to the DSes). 

The sessionid returned from the MDS to the client must not be
used when talking to the client; the client must send CREATESESSION
to the DS. The DS of course can construct the same value of
sessionid as the MDS.

Server A is acting as the DS for one set of files (X),
and the MDS for a different set of files (Y). Clients are
talking to server A to access both X and Y.
The clients must have previously contacted the MDS for X to 
create a clientid in order to create a session to A to access
files in X.  The clients must contact A (the MDS for Y) to
create a clientid for creating a session to access files in Y.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4