Subject: [nfsv4] pnfs issue 102: new layout type definition requirements

From: Garth Goodson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:01:28 -0700

I've come up with the following proposal on the requirements for 
defining new layout types.  It is currently a little rough.  It 
resembles the method used in DHCP to define new options, found in 
RFC2132, section 10.

Defining new layout types

    New layout type numbers will be requested from IANA.  IANA will
    only provide layout type numbers for Standards Track RFCs approved
    by the IESG, in accordance with Standards Action policy defined in
    RFC2434.

    The author of a new pNFS layout specification must follow these
    steps to obtain acceptance of the layout type as a standard:

    1. The author devises the new layout specification.

    2. The new layout type specification MUST, at a minimum:
       * Define the following data types: the device address, the
         layout, the layouthint, and the layoutupdate structure
       * Describe or define the storage access protocol used to access
         the data servers
       * Include a security considerations section

    3. The author documents the new layout specification as an Internet
       Draft.

    4. The author submits the Internet Draft for review through the
       IETF standards process as defined in "Internet Official Protocol
       Standards" (STD 1).  The new layout specification will be
       submitted for eventual acceptance as an Internet Standard.

    5. The layout specification progresses through the IETF standards
       process; the new option will be reviewed by the NFSv4 Working
       Group (if that group still exists), or as an Internet Draft not
       submitted by an IETF working group.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4