Subject: [nfsv4] what to do with the 4.1 .x file

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 02:11:44 -0500

With the soon-to-be-available nfsv41_prot.x file.
I would like to ask a question of how to manage it with respect
to the protocol document.

For RFC3530, the dot-x was included directly in the document.
It was useful to see the entire definition linearly but it was
not useful for easy reference and certainly less useful for
anyone that wanted to use it as a starting point for encode/decode.
The other downside is that it inflated the size of the document.

I have been considering an alternative to direct insertion of the
dot-x into the NFSv4.1 spec.  I am wondering if it may be more effective
to keep it separate from the I-D and resultant RFC and instead 
"register" it with IANA such that it can be located easily 
and intact.

Feedback / Opinions?

Spencer

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "William A.(Andy) Adamson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 13:35:51 -0400

i like the separate .x file

-->Andy

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 20:25:57 -0500

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  For the time being, we will
keep the I-D and dot-x separate and make a final decision as we
get closer to last call.

Spencer