Subject: [nfsv4] minorversion1 and POSIX discussions

From: Sam Falkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 13:34:59 -0600

Hi Andreas (and everyone else),

One thing that has not been pointed out is that during the working  
group meetings at IETF 64 and 65, it was decided that POSIX  
discussion did not belong in the normative minorversion1 document.   
Instead, it was decided to break out the POSIX discussion into an  
internet draft, on the track to becoming an informational RFC.

I think we have gained a better understanding of your views on POSIX  
compliance, and obviously we understand ours :-).  The ACL discussion  
of the minorversion1 document will list goals, and one of those goals  
will be to make it possible for an NFSv4 client to give POSIX  
conformant behavior.  I think that it's certainly possible to meet  
this goal, without excluding your view of how POSIX conformance must  
be met, nor our view of how it may be met.

We are all aware that NFSv4 itself is not required to conform to  
POSIX.  If the next revision of minorversion1 lists the POSIX goal  
stated above, can we agree to judge whether or not it has met this  
goal, and postpone all POSIX conformance discussions until the  
informational track I-D covering POSIX is underway?

- Sam

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:42:44 -0400

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 01:34:59PM -0600, Sam Falkner wrote:
> stated above

Are you planning to get out revised language in the next couple days?

I think we'd appreciate the chance to read over any new language before
the meeting.

--b.

---

From: Sam Falkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:06:20 -0600

> Are you planning to get out revised language in the next couple days?

The original estimate was to have it out by August 7, but we'll try  
to get it out earlier than that.  I can't say if it'll be a couple of  
days, but it will be as soon as possible.

> I think we'd appreciate the chance to read over any new language  

Understood.

- Sam