Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Automatic inheritance of permissions

From: Andreas Gruenbacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 15:41:40 +0200

Hello,

On Tuesday, 20 June 2006 20:55, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> I would like to propose to add a dynamic permission inheritance scheme to
> the NFSv4 specification similar to Windows's automatic inheritance: as far
> as I can tell, the NFSv4 ACL model is based on the Windows NT ACL model.

I think this detail deserves fixing in 4.1. Can anybody direct me what needs 
to be done in order to have this extension proposed at the next WG meeting 
(besides a proper specification what to implement how and why)?

Thanks,
Andreas

-- 
Andreas Gruenbacher <[email-masked]>
Novell / SUSE Labs

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:37:45 -0500

> (besides a proper specification what to implement how and why)?

I disagree.  The impression I had from your previous thread about this
was that it was up to the client application (the acl manageer application)
to push the inheritance through the descendants.

As I mentioned at the time, there have been 2-3 threads on this topic
in the past and they all seemed to result in the same conslusion that
dynamic inheritance was part of the application not the protocol.

Spencer

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:42:13 -0400

> dynamic inheritance was part of the application not the protocol.

Right, that's what I remember to: it's client appliations that are
responsible for propogating changes in inherited ACLs, not servers.

But that wasn't what Andreas was asking for; if I remember correctly, he
was just asking for another inheritance flag or two which are used by
those applications when doing the propogation.

--b.

---

From: Andreas Gruenbacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:49:38 +0200

On Wednesday, 02 August 2006 17:42, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > was that it was up to the client application (the acl manageer
> > application) to push the inheritance through the descendants.
> >

Agreed.

> those applications when doing the propogation.

It at least takes a new flag in the ACE flags field, and a file attribute that 
indicates protected ACLs for clients to be able to implement automatic 
inheritance. So even though the client should/may implement this behavior, 
the protocol must be able to carry this information.

Andreas

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:00:59 -0500

> the protocol must be able to carry this information.

Okay, but Hummingbird, who have had an NFSv4 implementation for awhile,
have not mentioned the need for these features.  Hence, my request
that someone from that team contribute to this thread.

Spencer