Subject: RE: [nfsv4] Automatic inheritance of permissions

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 11:26:47 -0400

> (besides a proper specification what to implement how and why)?

I would add an issue to the issue tracker at nfs4-editor.org.
That, together with the actual protocol requirements, takes care 
of proposing it.  

Then you need some discussion on the working group alias leading
to a rough consensus.  If there is consensus, there is no need 
to discuss this at a meeting.

One thing to be clear on is how this proposal interacts (or not)
with the current controvery about the interaction of MODE and ACL
attributes, the true meaning of POSIX, etc.  Obviously, having
these be separable issues is the most desirable case, as far
as getting a quick resolution.

My understanding is that the proposal would be  for a small 
change to the protocol.  At this point, I think we want to avoid 
large changes, because they have a tendency to spawn other 
changes in their wake.  At some point, we are going to decide
to close the window entirely, and so as to be able to get a 
consistent spec based on the material we have.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Gruenbacher [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 9:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] Automatic inheritance of permissions

Hello,

On Tuesday, 20 June 2006 20:55, Andreas Gruenbacher wrote:
> I would like to propose to add a dynamic permission inheritance scheme

> to the NFSv4 specification similar to Windows's automatic inheritance:

> as far as I can tell, the NFSv4 ACL model is based on the Windows NT
ACL model.

I think this detail deserves fixing in 4.1. Can anybody direct me what
needs to be done in order to have this extension proposed at the next WG
meeting (besides a proper specification what to implement how and why)?

Thanks,
Andreas

--
Andreas Gruenbacher <[email-masked]>
Novell / SUSE Labs

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Andreas Gruenbacher <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:39:40 +0200

On Wednesday, 02 August 2006 17:26, Noveck, Dave wrote:
> change to the protocol.

That's what I believe this would take as well, yes.
Thanks!

Andreas