Subject: [nfsv4] Working Group Last Call start for NFS RDMA I-Ds

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 20:40:13 -0500

With Tom's recent updates to the NFS RDMA I-Ds, they are ready for
working group last call.  As a brief reminder of what is being reviewed:

NFS RDMA Problem Statement
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfs-rdma-problem-statement-04.txt

RDMA Transport for ONC RPC
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-03.txt

NFS Direct Data Placement
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect-03.txt

The NFS RDMA Problem Statement is targeted as an Information RFC.
The other two are standards track.

Given the level of activity around NFSv4.1 at the moment.  I would
like to provide for a longer review cycle.  We will end the 
working group last call on September 29, 2006.

Please direct comments on these documents to the [email-masked] alias.

Spencer

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:37:13 -0700 (PDT)

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect-03.txt

This i-d notes:

   NFS use of direct data placement may introduce a need for an
   additional NFS port number assignment for networks which share
   traditional UDP and TCP port spaces with RDMA services.  The iWARP
   [DDP] [RDMAP] protocol is such an example (Infiniband is not).

I believe that if RPCBIND and not portmap is used, there's no
need for an additional port number. For iWARP, one could create
a netid, such as "ddp-tcp", and register the NFS program, version,
and netids "ddp-tcp" and "tcp" with RPCBIND. The presence of
say "ddp-tcp" over port 2049 (or rather its universal address
form of 8.1) in the RPCBIND registry tells the client that
NFS over RDDP is available on port 2049 over TCP.

If my belief is correct, I suggest the IANA stuff for
IP based transports be deleted, and that 
draft-ietf-nfsv4-rpcrdma-03.txt, state that RPCBIND is required
to use rpcrdma, and netids be listed for iWARP and IB.