Subject: Re: [nfsv4] parallel opens in NFSv4.1 ?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 16:04:53 -0400 (EDT)

> If you send 2 open requests that with the same open_owner across
> different slots, then how are you going to figure out which of the 2
> unordered replies contains the correct server state?
> As far as I can see, the only way would be to try a READ or WRITE, and
> then see whether or not it returns NFS4ERR_OLD_STATEID. I suppose you
> could do that, but how will that affect your numbers?

Since the stateid refers to <file, open_owner>, wouldn't this only be
the case for 2 opens of the "same file" with the same open_owner? (Seems to
me, this would only be done to add access to the open and will probably
be harmless to serialize?)

rick

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 17:02:02 -0400

> be harmless to serialize?)

Ah, but you would have to know a priori that you are referring to the
same file. In filesystems that support hard linking, that is not always
a given.

Cheers,
  Trond