Subject: RE: [nfsv4] ACLs and modes

From: "Everhart, Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 17:53:03 -0400

>From J. Bruce Fields [mailto:[email-masked]] on Wednesday, August
23, 2006 5:48 PM
> So, the obvious question, to get back to what Mario 
> asked--why not?  Why insist on this chmod 600/chmod 644 
> behavior by default even when starting completely from 
> scratch with native NFSv4 ACLs?
> 
> Way back in the mists of time were there lots of users 
> complaining about losing ACLs on chmod?

I think it was one of the issues that the successive POSIX ACL drafts
bounced back and forth on.  Yes, removing all access on
restricting-chmod's and not throwing away the ACL setup work on
restoring the old mode was deemed a useful, reputedly well-exercised
path.  In particular, reading the mode field, setting the mode field to
all 0 bits, then restoring the old mode value was the scenario that
loomed large.

		Craig

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4