Subject: RE: [nfsv4] New issue 125: What should LOOKUPP on a named attributes directory return?

From: "Khan, Saadia" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 00:15:23 -0700

The Netapp server currently returns the FH of the associated file in
this case. 

Saadia 

-----Original Message-----
From: Benny Halevy [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 10:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] New issue 125: What should LOOKUPP on a named
attributes directory return?

I filed the following issue after an informal discussion during last
interim meeting.

My proposal is that the server SHOULD return the same filehandle of a
named attributes directory when doing LOOKUPP on it. What folks do
today?
Does this break any existing applications?

Benny
--

It is not clear from the spec what filehandle should be returned for the
parent of a named attributes directory.

In an informal discussion held in Ann Arbor during the last interim
meeting several alternatives were mentioned:
- associated file
- parent directory of the associated file
- the named attributes directory itself

In my opinion, the server should return the filehandle of the named
attributes directory itself as if it was the root directory of the
filesystem since it represents a detached hierarchy which cannot be
reached via LOOKUP or READDIR on any directory (or any other filesystem
object for this matter, not even the associated file :) in the
namespace.  Returning either the filehandle of the associated file or of
its parent directory will surely confuse pwd as a typical implementation
searches the child in its parent directory's listing by the child's file
number in order to determine the child name and the named attributes
directory will never be there.

What current nfsv4 implementations return in this case today?

[for the record, this issue was mentioned already back in
http://playground.sun.com/pub/nfsv4/webpage/nfsv4-wg-archive-dec-96-jan-
03/3358.html,
point 3]

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4