Subject: RE: [nfsv4] pNFS and metadata-intensive environments

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 14:52:39 -0400

If you can tolerate dividing your zillions of small files into multiple
directories then the answer is put those directories on multiple
metadata servers and tie them into a single multi-server namespace via
referrals.  V4.0 had support for this but v4.1 is more explicit about
this.  Only in the case of zillions of small files in a single directory
do you have something that v4.1 won't be able to deal with.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Touretsky, Gregory [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:28 PM
	To: [email-masked]
	Subject: [nfsv4] pNFS and metadata-intensive environments

	Hi,

	  pNFS architecture seems to be great solution for IO-intensive
flows. However, considering metadata-intensive environment (80% of
NFSops are getattr/lookup/access) and zillions of very small files
(<10KB) - single MD server would become a bottleneck. Are there thoughts
to overcome such a bottleneck, or it's considered too niche situation to
deal with?

	Gregory Touretsky

	Intel IT - PCAM/EC EPT

	Compute & Storage Platforms Technical Engineering Mgr

	gregory.touretsky AT intel.com

	(+) 972-4-865-6377, Fax: 04-865-5999

	iNET: 465-6377, M/S: IDC-1B

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Marc Eshel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 13:46:09 -0700

With a cluster file system at the backend you can run MD servers on each 
node in the cluster. You can distribute you clients among the MD servers 
using a  something like DSN round robin or a more dynamic solution with 
referrals (like Dave's suggested) that allows you to move clients from 
loaded MD server to a less loaded one.
Marc. 

"Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]> 
09/21/2006 11:52 AM

To
"Touretsky, Gregory" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
cc

Subject
RE: [nfsv4] pNFS and metadata-intensive environments

If you can tolerate dividing your zillions of small files into multiple 
directories then the answer is put those directories on multiple metadata 
servers and tie them into a single multi-server namespace via referrals. 
V4.0 had support for this but v4.1 is more explicit about this.  Only in 
the case of zillions of small files in a single directory do you have 
something that v4.1 won't be able to deal with.
-----Original Message-----
From: Touretsky, Gregory [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] pNFS and metadata-intensive environments

Hi,
  pNFS architecture seems to be great solution for IO-intensive flows. 
However, considering metadata-intensive environment (80% of NFSops are 
getattr/lookup/access) and zillions of very small files (<10KB) - single 
MD server would become a bottleneck. Are there thoughts to overcome such a 
bottleneck, or it's considered too niche situation to deal with?
Gregory Touretsky
Intel IT - PCAM/EC EPT
Compute & Storage Platforms Technical Engineering Mgr
gregory.touretsky AT intel.com
(+) 972-4-865-6377, Fax: 04-865-5999
iNET: 465-6377, M/S: IDC-1B_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4