Subject: [nfsv4] return_on_close hint in LAYOUTGET result

From: Benny Halevy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:38:09 +0200

As discussed in Ann Arbor, I'm proposing to add a hint to the LAYOUTGET
results structure that requests the client to return the layout before 
closing the
associated file.  This behavior was initially requested by DESY to optimize
their application that uses the write layout only once and therefore, in 
the absence
of this flag will always recall the layout upon close after write.  In 
the pnfs over
objects case we also want all write layouts returned early, before the 
file is closed
and released at the server.  Since this behavior is server and iomode 
specific and
in our case may also be raid-level specific I propose to add the flag to 
each
returned layout rather than having a file or filesystem  attribute, a 
mount option,
or a layout driver policy.

   struct LAYOUTGET4resok {
           layout4            logr_layout;
+         bool                return_on_close;
   };

Benny

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:28:32 -0500

> or a layout driver policy.

Benny,

Would you please create an issue for this and if there isn't dissent soon,
please provide the proposed text changes and assign to me.

btw: I assume that since the title said "hint" that return_on_close
is advisory?

Spencer