Subject: [nfsv4] SEQUENCE and lease renewal clarification

From: Karen Rochford <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 08:14:14 -0700

Hi,

Need some clarification on SEQUENCE and lease renewal, can not find this 
info in the current draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-08 draft.

I'm assuming, that if a SEQUENCE op fails (say due to 
NFS4ERR_SEQ_MISORDERED), the lease is NOT renewed, and I'm also assuming 
that if the SEQUENCE is completed from the replay cache, that the lease 
IS renewed?  However I do not see clear indicated of this in the draft. 
  I do see, "Each time a session is used, the state leased to it 
associated clientid is automatically renewed".  However its not clear 
what "used" really means.

The draft also says "When a request is issued for a given session,
execution of a SEQUENCE operation will result in all leases for the
associated client to be implicitly renewed."  However again, it is not 
clear what "execution" is, does this mean a successful completion of 
SEQUENCE, does it include a replay also, does it include even executions 
of SEQUENCE that return a failed status?

Can this be clarified?

Thanks,

Karen Rochford

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:27:01 -0500

I think our interpretation is such that anytime a client presents a
valid id that we can resolve, we renew the lease.
We err on the side of being lenient. The thinking is that there is a
client that is obviously trying to use this session, and it would be
more hurtful to the client if it was to expire than if it was renewed.
It may not be to the letter of the spec, but it seems to fit the spirit
at any rate.

On the other hand, perhaps a malfunctioning client would prefer to have
the lease expire.

-- Tom Vanderputten

-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Rochford [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:14 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] SEQUENCE and lease renewal clarification

Hi,

Can this be clarified?

Thanks,

Karen Rochford

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:05:00 -0800 (PST)

> what "used" really means.

Karen, (and Thomas),

Thanks for raising some excellent points.

One of the things that was difficult about NFSv4.0 was that
some errors caused the sequence number to be bumped, and
others resulted in no change in sequence number. And I
have no idea whether some errors updated the lease or not.

I propose we keep it very simple: 
  If SEQUENCE returns NFS4_OK, the lease is updated (and the session
  is also kept alive)

  If SEQUENCE returns anything other that NFS4_OK, the lease is not
  updated (and the session continues to be idle).

> of SEQUENCE that return a failed status?

Right. I propose that "execution of SEQUENCE operation" be changed
to: "successful execution of the SEQUENCE operation (SEQUENCE
returns NFS4_OK)"

> Can this be clarified?

Yes. If you wouldn't find filing an issue in the issue tracker
and assigning it to mre I would appreciate it.

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 11:26:27 -0600

>   updated (and the session continues to be idle).

nit: except for the instance that SEQUENCE returns one of the *_STATE_REVOKED
values in sr_status.

Spencer