Subject: [nfsv4] 2.9.4.1 Slot usage

From: Robert Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 11:55:30 -0600

In 2.9.4.1 Slot identifiers and reply cache we have this paragraph.

> In general, the receipt of a new sequenced request arriving on any
> valid slot is an indication that the previous reply cache contents
> of that slot may be discarded. In order to further assist the replier
> in slot management, the requester is required to use the lowest  
> available
> slot when issuing a new request. In this way, the replier may be  
> able to
> retire additional entries.

should the language that stipulates "the requester is required to use  
the lowest"

be strengthened to "the requester MUST use the lowest" .. ?

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Trond Myklebust <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:06:44 -0500

> be strengthened to "the requester MUST use the lowest" .. ?

What would that mean?

Is the server going to reject the RPC call if the requester fails to use
the lowest slot? If so, what about races (slot n-1 becomes available
just as I'm marshalling my XDR for slot n)?

Cheers,
  Trond