Subject: [nfsv4] ACL interoperability testing

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:32:11 -0500

We'd like to do more ACL interoperability testing at connectathon,
involving heterogeneous clients against a single server as well as just
single clients and servers.

A few random testing ideas follow; anybody have others?

We're working on automating some of these, so might have more test
scripts to share later on.  But these tend to cover geeky little corner
cases; if people have experience with applications or uses that are
likely to be important or interesting, that might give us more useful
results.

Test ideas:

	- Set ACLs from a client, then attempt file operations, to determine
	  how each server/client combination enforces ACL permissions; Jim
	  Rees has some tests we could use:
	  http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/asci/icsi-alpha/acl-test-20060929.tar.gz
	- Set each of the following on one client, retrieve it from the
	  same client, record any errors, and compare any succesful
	  results:
		ACL with OWNER@, GROUP@, and EVERYONE@ aces only
		ACL with the above and a named user and a named group
		ACL with the above and with a named user and group that
		  happen to be the same as the file's owner and/or group
		ACL with named users and groups but no OWNER@, GROUP@,
		  or EVERYONE@
		ACL with denies, all of them at the start of the ACL
		ACL with denies interleaved with allows
		zero-length ACL
	- Repeat the above with two different client implementations,
	  setting ACLs on one and querying on the other.
	- Set every possible mode bit and query the resulting ACL;
	  set the above set of ACLs and query the resulting mode bits.
	- Repeat the above with different clients setting and querying
	  the mode and ACL.
	- Set ACLs on directories with every possible combination of
	  inheritance bits, query the result, create a subfile, query
	  its ACL.
	- Set and query modes with the suid, sgid, and svtx bits.
	- Repeat the above, but also set an acl and check whether those
	  high-order mode bits are retained.

--b.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Jim Rees <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:46:33 -0500

I won't be at Connectathon but I'd love to have someone coordinate a set of
tests using my scripts.  Let me know how it goes.