Subject: [nfsv4] ID 08: 12.4.2.4 Operations issued to Storage Devices.

From: Robert Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 10:23:37 -0600

quote:
"
12.4.2.4.  Operations Issued to Storage Devices

Clients MUST use the filehandle described within the layout when
accessing data on the storage devices. When using the layout's  
filehandle,
the client MUST only issue the NULL procedure and the  
BACKCHANNEL_CTL, BIND_CONN_TO_SESSION, CREATE_SESSION, COMMIT,  
DESTROY_SESSION, READ, WRITE,
PUTFH, SECINFO_NO_NAME, SET_SSV, and SEQUENCE operations to the storage
device associated with that filehandle. If a client issues an  
operation other
than those specified above, using the filehandle and storage device  
listed in
the client's layout, that storage device SHOULD return an error to  
the client.
The client MUST follow the instruction implied by the layout (i.e.,  
which
filehandles to use on which devices). As described in Section 12.3.2
(Guarantees Provided by Layouts), a client MUST NOT issue I/Os to  
storage
devices for which it does not hold a valid layout. The storage  
devices may
reject such requests.
"

Is BACKCHANNEL_CTL need for storage devices ? -- What traffic would  
flow ?

Robert. 

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Spencer Shepler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 10:20:12 -0600

> Is BACKCHANNEL_CTL need for storage devices ? -- What traffic would  

CB_RECALL_SLOT is the operation of interest.

Spencer

---

From: Robert Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:52:46 -0600

> CB_RECALL_SLOT is the operation of interest.

Guess i SHOULD have 'recalled' that.. heh..

Thanks.
Robert.