Subject: [nfsv4] Question on LOCK to new owner and error DENIED

From: Steven Huntington <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:56:48 -0700

All,

Version 4 (point zero) spec has the following text at section 8.1.5:

The client MUST monotonically increment the sequence number for the CLOSE,
LOCK, LOCKU, OPEN, OPEN_CONFIRM, and OPEN_DOWNGRADE operations.  This is
true even in the event that the previous operation that used the sequence
number received an error.  The only exception to this rule is if the
previous operation received one of the following errors:
NFS4ERR_STALE_CLIENTID, NFS4ERR_STALE_STATEID, NFS4ERR_BAD_STATEID,
NFS4ERR_BAD_SEQID, NFS4ERR_BADXDR, NFS4ERR_RESOURCE, NFS4ERR_NOFILEHANDLE.

For "lock to new owner", where an open seqid as well as a lock seqid is
provided, some implementations increment both seqids on error DENIED, such
that they are both +1 on the retry.  Some increment only the open seqid,
and this inconsistency leads at times to NFS4ERR_BAD_SEQID if the lock
seqid is also bumped.  I cannot tell from the spec which case is the
correct one.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Cheers,

Steve Huntington, IBM San Jose

Phone:       (408) 463-2716 (T/L 543-216)
Fax:         (408) 463-4727
Office:      SVL 90-D215
Internet:    [email-masked]
Lotus Notes: Steven Huntington/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4