Subject: [nfsv4] odd text in RFC3530's LOCK description

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:54:43 -0800 (PST)

Some servers may only support locking for byte offsets that fit
   within 32 bits.  If the client specifies a range that includes a
byte
   beyond the last byte offset of the 32-bit range, but does not
include
   the last byte offset of the 32-bit and all of the byte offsets
beyond
   it, up to the end of the valid 64-bit range, such a 32-bit server
   MUST return the error NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE.

I don't know what the above is trying to say, but wonder
if it is saying:

   32 bit servers are servers that support locking 
   for byte offsets that fit within 32 bits (i.e. less than 
   or equal to 0xFFFFFFFF).  If the  
   client specifies a range that overlaps one or more bytes
   beyond offset 0xFFFFFFFF, but does not end at the 
   maximum 64 bit offset (i.e. 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF), such a 
   32-bit server MUST return the error NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Benny Halevy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:11:49 +0200

>    32-bit server MUST return the error NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE.

almost...
If the range doesn't overlap with 0xFFFFFFFF such server
should also return NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE.
so the cases for <start_offset, end_offset> for which the server
should return the error are:
start_offset > 0xFFFFFFFF || end_offset != 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Benny

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:39:16 -0500

I think you are headed inn the right directtion but your formulation
would not require a 32-bit server to return NFS4ERR_BADRANGE if the 
client specified a range that started at 0x100000000 and ended at 
0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, while the paragraph in RFC3530, would.

Your paragraph delas with where the range ends but doesn't deal with
where the range starts, which must be at or below 0xFFFFFFFF, to 
avoid NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Eisler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:55 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] odd text in RFC3530's LOCK description

   Some servers may only support locking for byte offsets that fit
   within 32 bits.  If the client specifies a range that includes a byte
   beyond the last byte offset of the 32-bit range, but does not include
   the last byte offset of the 32-bit and all of the byte offsets beyond
   it, up to the end of the valid 64-bit range, such a 32-bit server
   MUST return the error NFS4ERR_BAD_RANGE.

I don't know what the above is trying to say, but wonder if it is
saying: