Subject: [nfsv4] Reserving numbers for Recommended attributes and Operations

From: Dave Quigley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:15:36 -0500

Hello,
    I looked through the IANA considerations section in draft-18 and I
didn't notice how Recommended attribute or Operation numbers are
reserved. We need to define a new Recommended attribute, and some
operations for the Labeled-nfs effort. Does this require a new minor
version number? Is there a way to reserve these numbers until the next
minor draft begins?

Dave Quigley

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:43:26 -0800 (PST)

> version number? Is there a way to reserve these numbers until the

``To this end, attributes are divided into three groups: mandatory,
recommended, and named. Both mandatory and recommended attributes are
supported in the NFSv4.1 protocol by a specific and well-defined
encoding and are identified by number. They are requested by setting a
bit in the bit vector sent in the GETATTR request; the server response
includes a bit vector to list what attributes were returned in the
response. New mandatory or recommended attributes may be added to the
NFS protocol between major revisions by publishing a standards-track
RFC which allocates a new attribute number value and defines the
encoding for the attribute. See Section 2.7 (Minor Versioning) for
further discussion.''

We should have a link from IANA considerations section to this text.

Yes, new numbered attributes need new minor version.

No way to reserve a number, but if your ideas reach consensus for
NFSv4.2, I don't see any why we'd change the unused attribute number(s)
you selected.

Start submitting personal I-Ds.

Or you could used named attributes for now and follow the IANA
section's
guidelines for registered the named attributes.