Subject: [nfsv4] mode_set_masked and OPEN and CREATE

From: Mike Eisler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 07:39:25 -0800 (PST)

The spec currently says:

``The mode_set_masked attribute is only valid in a SETATTR operation.
If it is used in a CREATE or OPEN operation, the server MUST return
NFS4ERR_INVAL.''

Anyone know why this limitation exists? This seems very severe and
unnecessary.

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:01:02 -0500

I think it is because the purpose is to selctively set or reset bits in
an existing mode and the motivation at least was for use in SETATTR.  I
guess that in the file creation case you could apply the mode_set_masked
changes to the default mode for the file, but the spec would have to say
that and aloso have to address the issue of whether it is valid for the
server to do this in two steps, with a possible window where the created
file can have the default mode without the change.  I would presume it
would not be.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Eisler [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2008 10:39 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [nfsv4] mode_set_masked and OPEN and CREATE

The spec currently says: