Subject: [nfsv4] 18.51.3 RECLAIM_COMPLETE.

From: Robert Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:14:21 -0600

There are inconsistencies with RECLAIM_COMPLETE.

The current wording (inc Mikes updated wording) for 18.51.3  
(specifically)

"A RECLAIM_COMPLETE operation must be used to indicate that the  
client has
reclaimed all of the locking state that it will recover,..."

and

"Whenever a client establishes a new client ID and before it does the
first non-reclaim operation that obtains a lock, it MUST do a global
RECLAIM_COMPLETE, even if there are no locks to reclaim. If non-reclaim
locking operations are done before the RECLAIM_COMPLETE, a NFS4ERR_GRACE
will be returned."

Do not 'match' the upper case MUST. So I'd propose the first should
be upper MUST.

It is also not clear in 18.51 if this operation is required when the
server is not within it's grace period.

We need a back reference to "8.4.2.1. State Reclaim", which
discusses RECLAIM_COMPLETE more completely.

Robert.
_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Noveck, Dave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:58:41 -0500

> "A RECLAIM_COMPLETE operation must be used to 
> indicate that the client has reclaimed all of 
> the locking state that it will recover,..." 

> Do not 'match' the upper case MUST. So I'd propose 
> the first should be upper MUST.

I agree that this does not match the "MUST" below, but my solution is
different.  I think the sentence is really explaining the purpose of
RECLAIM_COMPLETE (explanatory, not normative), and the "must" is an
additional element saying it is not optional.  Since the non-optionality
is better dealt with in the second passage, I would make this sentence
purely explanatory and say:

     A RECLAIM_COMPLETE operation is used to indicate 
     that the client has reclaimed all of the locking 
     state that it will recover, ... 

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Gordon [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:14 PM
To: NFSv4
Subject: [nfsv4] 18.51.3 RECLAIM_COMPLETE.

"A RECLAIM_COMPLETE operation must be used to indicate that the client
has reclaimed all of the locking state that it will recover,..."

and

Do not 'match' the upper case MUST. So I'd propose the first should be
upper MUST.

We need a back reference to "8.4.2.1. State Reclaim", which discusses
RECLAIM_COMPLETE more completely.

Robert.

---

From: Robert Gordon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:01:13 -0600

>      state that it will recover, ...

ok.

Robert.