Subject: [nfsv4] wordsmithing changes for chapter 18 - rename through write + secinfo_no_name

From: "Mike Eisler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:18:53 -0700 (PDT)

This also fixes the inconsistency with NFS4ERR_WRONGSEC and LINK/RENAME
as well as fixes the text around PUTFH+SAVEFH.

You'll see new text added around LINK and RENAME. It turns out
there is a very good reason why the errors/ops inspection
team deleted NFS4ERR_WRONGSEC from LINK and RENAME. Rather than
making the argument to delete it, I've added text that makes
NFS4ERR_WRONGSEC OPTIONAL for LINK and RENAME and why.

I know Trond, and I suspect Dave Noveck are unsatisfied with
the state of the security negotiation. I do not see a rough
consensus to completely re-open the topic, and delay
publication of the spec.

-- 
Mike Eisler, Senior Technical Director, NetApp, 719 599 9026,
http://blogs.netapp.com/eislers_nfs_blog/

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4

---

From: "Mike Eisler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:21:45 -0700 (PDT)

It might help if I posted a URL:

http://eisler.com/nfsv4-wg/2008-04-17-ch-18-rename-write.html

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:06:56 -0400

> http://eisler.com/nfsv4-wg/2008-04-17-ch-18-rename-write.html

On an extremely quick skim all I noticed was a "stable" that should have
been a "stable parameter" in the WRITE description:

	Valid combinations of the stable in the request and committed in
	the reply.	

and, in the IMPLEMENTATION section, a "effect" that should be "in
effect":

	If mandatory file locking is effect for the file,...

By the way, the side-by-side format is nice for reading, but a little
awkward to quote from; would it be possible to append 'diff -u'-style
diffs to your emails as well?  (No big deal if it's a hassle.)

--b.

---

From: "Mike Eisler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:54:36 -0700 (PDT)

> 	If mandatory file locking is effect for the file,...

Ack'ing the errors you have found.

> diffs to your emails as well?  (No big deal if it's a hassle.)

Let me know if:

  http://eisler.com/nfsv4-wg/2008-04-17-ch-18-rename-write.txt

works for you.

---

From: "J. Bruce Fields" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:52:42 -0400

>   http://eisler.com/nfsv4-wg/2008-04-17-ch-18-rename-write.txt

Thanks, but with all the page number changes reported as diff's it gets
a little much to sort through.  If a diff of the xml source isn't
possible, then I can just live with the side-by-side html.

--b.