Subject: [nfsv4] Protocol Action: 'NFS Direct Data Placement' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:37:35 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'NFS Direct Data Placement '
   <draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect-08.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Network File System Version 4 Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-nfsdirect-08.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This document specifies a method of binding NFS on top of
   the ONC RPC operation over RDMA transports (such as RDDP).  
   The RDMA transport for ONC RPC provides direct data placement
   for NFS data. Direct data placement not only reduces the
   amount of data that needs to be copied in an NFS call, but
   allows much of the data movement over the network to be
   implemented in RDMA hardware. This protocol describes the use
   of direct data placement by means of server- initiated RDMA
   operations into client-supplied buffers in a Chunk list for
   implementations of NFS versions 2, 3, and 4 over an RDMA
   transport.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   There is consensus in the WG to publish these documents.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   In support of this protocol definition, a variety of
   prototyping efforts have occurred in both Linux and
   OpenSolaris operating environments. At this point, there
   exist interoperable NFS client and server implementations for
   both Linux and OpenSolaris.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Spencer Shepler ([email-masked])
   Responsible AD: Lars Eggert ([email-masked])

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4