Subject: [nfsv4] NFS/RDMA port assignment is official - 20049

From: "Talpey, Thomas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 15:35:03 -0400

The IANA has approved the request for an official port assignment for
NFS/RDMA, it's 20049. (I requested a number that was similar to the
long-familiar tcp/2049).

<http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>

>PORT NUMBERS
>
>(last updated 2008-09-04) 
>
>...
>nfsrdma         20049/tcp  Network File System (NFS) over RDMA
>nfsrdma         20049/udp  Network File System (NFS) over RDMA
>nfsrdma         20049/sctp Network File System (NFS) over RDMA
>#                          Tom Talpey <tmt&netapp.com> 28 August 2008

The reason for the new number is discussed in the nfsdirect
draft, but in brief, it's because RDDP and NFSv4.1 allow the
incoming client to negotiate the use of RDMA dynamically, this
in turn necessitates a new port so that NFSv2, NFSv3 and NFSv4.0
clients may connect in RDMA mode (since these NFS versions do
not have RDMA negotiation). SCTP was requested and assigned
since RDDP has an SCTP binding.

Happy NFS/RDMA'ing. We'll be updating the various experimental
open source implementations to use this new number by default,
soon.

Tom. 

_______________________________________________
nfsv4 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nfsv4